PCAT Review...

Started by PharmD2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmD2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I need a little guidance from those of you who have done very well on the PCAT, and contribute your good scores to some sort of PCAT review. I have just taken the test for the third time, once again being disappointed. My scores have been, from the first to the third, 63,48,and 53. I studied the most for the second and third tests, but not as much as I should have. What PCAT review guides have you guys found MOST helpful? I've been looking into the Kaplan stuff, like the review book and classes, but I would like some input before I just start spending money. I've also looked at the audio tapes and the cliffsnotes PCAT review. Please help me so I can study the right material! Thanks in advance!
 
As I posted on another thread, I got an 86 composite and did (IMHO) pretty well on the math(85), chemistry(95), and biology(86) sections.

I used a couple of different books to prepare for the exam:

Barron's How To Prepare For The PCAT
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4305828

and

Pexam's PCAT v1.0
http://www.amazon.com/Reference-Gui...ef=sr_1_5/102-2110269-8367337?ie=UTF8&s=books


I spent less than $60 between both of them and I feel like I got a lot of benefit from them. They each had their strengths and weaknesses. Barron's math wasn't very comprehensive in my opinion. I thought that the math and biology were much more difficult in the Pexam book, and therefore very helpful. However, the Pexam book had numerous typos and had some information that I had never seen in any of my pre-PHR classes and subsequently did not end up on the PCAT. Overall, I feel that without using both books to refresh my memory on the topics, I might have had a much different score.

As for the verbal and reading sections... I'm just not sure how you can prepare for them. You can try using "boost your vocabulary" materials, but I think doing well on those sections is really just acquired knowledge.

Also, I didn't wait until 3 weeks before to start studying for the October PCAT, I started in August and worked on it at least 3 times a week for an hour or more. I went through each question in the biology, math, and chemistry sections. Each time I couldn't do one, or in the explanation of the answer there was some factoid that I didn't remember or know before, I wrote it down on a legal pad. There were over 1000 bio, math, and chemistry questions between both books, so I definitely got a great review from them.

Finally, that barron's book has 2 practice tests. I took both and timed myself, which gave me some good confidence for having endurance on the real thing.

I hope this helps.
 
IMHO, taking the pre-pharm classes is probably one of the best ways to study for this exam, also, I think Calc. 2 helped me with the quantitative part.

As far as study guides are concerned, I used thepcat.com, which costs $50 and is computer software that includes 5 full length practice tests. I do not think the practice tests are 100% like the real exam, however, the length of the tests helps build stamina and lets you know where you are weak, and what types of questions will/won't be asked on the exam. They have a few absurd questions.

Next, I used the Kaplan book to study, but they just like the first study tool I used, have some pretty outlandish questions and exercises that they require you to answer that will never be on the real test. It's still good practice, but I think it's important to be looking for questions that are likely to be on the exam and ones that are not likely to be on the exam.

Finally, I think taking the practice tests on Harcourts websites are helpful, and I think it's important you write down each question that you miss and make sure you know why you missed it.

This strategy seemed to work pretty well for me. I've always sucked at reading and verbal, and not much can really help me with those sections. The first time I took the test I made 87th, with 37 and 55 in reading and verbal, while the second time I made 91 with 56 and 46 in reading and verbal. However, I greatly increased the science/math components of my score using these practice methods and hit 97 (bio), 93 (math), and 95 (chem) the second time around.

Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, thanks a lot guys for the insight. I just ordered the Kaplan book, and I already have a couple other books as well as the flashcard book. Hopefully all of this will help prepare me this time! Thanks again!