PCAT Score Good Enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachessmith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year at Shenandoah University with a 3.8 GPA. Last January I took my PCAT's just for practice and did not prepare for them. My composite score was 72%. My Biology score was only 32% but I’m not surprised since my last biology course was as a junior in high school.

SU requires a composite score of 50%. Does anyone know if they look at the individual scores, or just the composite scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely retake the PCAT. A composite score of 32% on biology is not acceptable for pharm school, in my opinion. The chemistry and biology sections should count for the most.

Also, you are only a freshman, and you said you did not prepare. So, why don't you prepare better and earn a score that you are capable of getting. And biology (basic) is just memorization. Did you take AP Biology in high school? If so, just review that. I am sure that the PCAT biology cannot be more difficult than the AP multiple choice section on the Biology exam or the SAT II Biology. Biology at the basic level IS memorization.

What did you get on chemistry, by the way?

Remember, biology and chemistry are THE most important subjects. Some schools look at individual sections, like UNC-Chapel Hill that wants the five percentile scores to add up to 400. So a 32 would make you out here.

Retake it when you are prepared.

peachessmith said:
I just finished my freshman year at Shenandoah University with a 3.8 GPA. Last January I took my PCAT's just for practice and did not prepare for them. My composite score was 72%. My Biology score was only 32% but I’m not surprised since my last biology course was as a junior in high school.

SU requires a composite score of 50%. Does anyone know if they look at the individual scores, or just the composite scores?

Welcome to the forums. :) I'm currently a P1 at SU. Are you a pre-admit student for the pharmacy school? My advice would be to focus on your GPA and keep it close to where it is now. E-mail Caz and ask her for advice on if that score is acceptable. Personally, mine was higher, but with your GPA, you may be fine. I believe they look at your composite score when considering admissions. If you have any other questions, please PM me anytime. :)