PCAT scoring?

Started by Ephraim
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ephraim

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone please help me out! I'm a bit concerned. So I just took the PCAT and for one subsection I got a SS of 427 which is an 87% and another subsection I got a SS of 425 which is an 84%. But my composite was a SS of 426 which is 92%. I'm confused. Should my composite score be between 84 and 87%? I really don't want to get overly excited when maybe there was a mistake?
 
There are 3 other sections you haven't mentioned, so I guess you scored higher on those? From what I understand, the SS composite is just the average of your five subsections, then the SS composite is given a percentile rank relative to the norm group.
 
There are 3 other sections you haven't mentioned, so I guess you scored higher on those? From what I understand, the SS composite is just the average of your five subsections, then the SS composite is given a percentile rank relative to the norm group.

Ahh I see. So basically we have to look at the subsection SS individually then, right? In essence, just because a SS for a certain subsection has a certain percentage doesn't mean that a different subsection with an identical SS should have the same percentage?
 
Ahh I see. So basically we have to look at the subsection SS individually then, right? In essence, just because a SS for a certain subsection has a certain percentage doesn't mean that a different subsection with an identical SS should have the same percentage?

Correct. If you have two SS that are the exact same such as a 430, the subsection percentiles may not be the same.