PCAT stuff (obviously)

Started by sadface
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sadface

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sooooooooo I took the PCAT during this semester without a lot of studying. I read through the chem, math, and verbal sections of the kaplan book, took a practice test, and that was about it. I got:

Verbal 73
biology 84
reading comprehension 81
quantitative ability 59 T_T
chemistry 53 T_T
writing 2.5/2.5
composite 74

I don't think the Kaplan book was very good for the chem/quant and that's all I used it for.

ANYWAY I'm trying to figure out how I can study to get a 90+ comp next time, and 3/3+ writing
A lot of people talk about dr collins? It's really expensive.. is it just an improved version of the kaplan book?
Found the 99%th thread which was helpful but I'm still unsure if people think collin's is the best time efficient way.. I have some textbooks but it seems really hard to pick what sections to study. It doesn't seem like anyone used things besides collin's/kaplan as main study tools :\
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No.. but my adviser told me they like to see a history of volunteering which I will not have by the 2012 application cycle (maybe will have 1 year of volunteering at one place by then, trying to get in at a food pantry). I figured having a better PCAT score might help strengthen my application on top of whatever volunteering I can manage after I finish undergrad? The test is expensive, but cheaper to retake it now than have to wait around another year if I don't get in :S
 
No.. but my adviser told me they like to see a history of volunteering which I will not have by the 2012 application cycle (maybe will have 1 year of volunteering at one place by then, trying to get in at a food pantry). I figured having a better PCAT score might help strengthen my application on top of whatever volunteering I can manage after I finish undergrad? The test is expensive, but cheaper to retake it now than have to wait around another year if I don't get in :S
Try to volunteer at one place but make the reason count. Why did you choose to volunteer there? Why is it important to you?

Also if you cant work at a pharmacy, shadow a pharmacist or a doctor at a local hospital.

While 74 might not be competitive for the #1 school in the nation, it is for the top 25. There is a reason why top schools accept 65 or higher. You've met the mark. It's one expensive, in my opinion, ridiculous test. I've seen someone with a 4.0 graduate Summa Cum Laude with tons of volunteer experience get a 25 on that test.
 
Thanks for the feedback guys, maybe I'll try to talk to my adviser about how beneficial a retake would be. My two local schools are hard to get accepted to I think :S I knew i would get into my undergrad college so I'm not used to having average stats :scared: