PCAT verbal: analogies

Started by BH07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BH07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cant seem to get like 5 out of 30 questions on the analogy sections and I am trying to prep as best as possible. Does anybody a good book on how to study for the analogy section.

Does Kaplan GRE verbal book help?
 
I cant seem to get like 5 out of 30 questions on the analogy sections and I am trying to prep as best as possible. Does anybody a good book on how to study for the analogy section.

Does Kaplan GRE verbal book help?

What prep material are using?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Memorizing analogies is about as useless as memorizing organic chemistry; change one part and you're clueless. The point of analogies is to test the extent of your vocabulary, not your ability to memorize.

Never hurts to pick up a book. 🙄
 
go here and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-2011...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280773665&sr=8-1

This book is for studying for the GRE, which I took a few years ago before deciding to pursue a career in pharmacy. The reason I recommend this book is because it tries to show you the tricks to beat the GRE, not how to learn everything necessary to answer the questions correctly. It looks at the exam as a strategy game or something. I SOO wish they'd make one of these for the PCAT. The GRE has 2 parts, Verbal and Quantitattive. The tips in this book are primarily directed toward questions on the GRE that we'd never have on the PCAT, but it gave me some tips with analogies that I still use today.
 
Use the GRE book. Increase your vocabulary by reading newspapers, articles, or listening to NPR. That really is the best way to learn the nuances of various vocabulary words. Also, remember that there are types of analogies...these should be covered in any standardized test practice book.