PCAT vocabulary question

Started by dra05ke
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dra05ke

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello everyone, i am new to this forum and i had a question. I was wondering about the vocabulary section on the PCAT and i am preparing to study. I was going to pick up SAT or GRE vocabulary flash card to help boost my vocabulary skills. Is the vocabulary on the PCAT more closely related to SAT vocabulary or GRE vocabulary, as i have heard that the GRE vocabulary is generally more difficult and i do not wish to be squandering time in unnecessary areas. Thank you very much for your time taken to read this and all of your help.
 
I've taken the SAT, PCAT, and GRE. PCAT vocabulary is a breeze compared to GRE vocabulary, so don't waste your time with GRE words. If you already have a decent grasp of vocab, you should instead spend some time learning a few word roots to help you figure out unfamiliar words. If you're still unsure, studying a few SAT words might help.

Heavily agree: GRE vocab >>>> PCAT vocab :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I memorized a GRE vocab list almost twenty years ago. Those words were pretty tough and then I didn't even end up using my GRE scores. But it paid off anyway because I have an awesome vocabulary. Studying GRE words for the PCAT will be overkill but it won't be wasted effort. However, if you have a limited amount of time, I'd stick to the SAT words.
 
I memorized a GRE vocab list almost twenty years ago. Those words were pretty tough and then I didn't even end up using my GRE scores. But it paid off anyway because I have an awesome vocabulary. Studying GRE words for the PCAT will be overkill but it won't be wasted effort. However, if you have a limited amount of time, I'd stick to the SAT words.

How long was the GRE word list? (i.e. the number of words) 😱 Also may it be better than other word lists (SAT, etc.), by being more effective for the PCAT, I mean are the words more similar or....
 
How long was the GRE word list? (i.e. the number of words) 😱 Also may it be better than other word lists (SAT, etc.), by being more effective for the PCAT, I mean are the words more similar or....

I believe it was 3500 words. I was a science major at the time and I didn't do a lot of outside reading so I knew about half of the list before I started. It was a lot of work but lots of words stuck with me for life or I had enough of a base to recognize them in context. Most of those words you won't ever see on the PCAT. I think there is a 200 PCAT list out there. I'd start with that. Then I'd find a long list of SAT words and study the ones you don't know. If you are still wanting to study vocab words, then maybe find a top GRE word list and study that too. But that is a lot of vocab work that might be better spent working on other areas with a larger payoff.
 
I believe it was 3500 words. I was a science major at the time and I didn't do a lot of outside reading so I knew about half of the list before I started. It was a lot of work but lots of words stuck with me for life or I had enough of a base to recognize them in context. Most of those words you won't ever see on the PCAT. I think there is a 200 PCAT list out there. I'd start with that. Then I'd find a long list of SAT words and study the ones you don't know. If you are still wanting to study vocab words, then maybe find a top GRE word list and study that too. But that is a lot of vocab work that might be better spent working on other areas with a larger payoff.

Do you know where the list may be found (PCAT)- I've tried looking for it lol.