PCAT writing structure help!!!!!!

Started by meomeo123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meomeo123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, can some one show me in details the writing structure please. even though i have searched others' posts about pcat writing, I am still confused . Should an essay contain an introduction, 3 paragraphs of solution, and a conclusion. Should I include an counteract in 1 of solutions.

I saw someone wrote" In at least ONE of solution, bring up a commonly-stated alternative idea & explain how it's a bad idea, how your idea is better. Say it as if it is just obvious." I dont understand this idea. Does this mean i have to give 4 total solution thanks so much for the responses.
 
Hi everyone, can some one show me in details the writing structure please. even though i have searched others' posts about pcat writing, I am still confused . Should an essay contain an introduction, 3 paragraphs of solution, and a conclusion. Should I include an counteract in 1 of solutions.

I saw someone wrote" In at least ONE of solution, bring up a commonly-stated alternative idea & explain how it's a bad idea, how your idea is better. Say it as if it is just obvious." I dont understand this idea. Does this mean i have to give 4 total solution thanks so much for the responses.

I am probably not the best person to answer this. I only got a 3 on the essay. You should post this in the PCAT forum to get better answer. The structure of my essay was basically intro,2 body paragraphs and conclusion. Intro is where I bring in my thesis and background information. I used the body for support, evidences, solution, alternative solution, then I tie everything back together in the conclusion.
 
no i dont think you would need 4 solution, that seems a bit much. anticipating opposition is a strong tool to use and doing that while promoting your own idea could be done in one paragraph
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wrote a five-paragraph essay as my high school English teacher taught me. One introductory paragraph with a three-prong concluding sentence, three supporting paragraphs (one for each "prong"), and a concluding paragraph. This was enough to get a 3. I didn't counter my arguments specifically.

I have always felt a five-paragraph essay of the format I was taught was sufficient, but not imaginative or stand out. Probably why I got a 3, although the rubric didn't match the grading.
 
I winged it with one medium paragraph and I got a 3.0...:laugh:

Seriously, I wrote like a 10 years old...but don't be like me, writing properly is the right thing to do.
 
Last edited: