PCAT writing

Started by nehe87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nehe87

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About how long should the essays be? And do most people tend to follow the five-paragraph format? (intro, three body paragraphs, conclusion) Thanks in advance!
 
I used 5 paragraphs, planned out the 3 body paragraphs by scribbling down ideas for 5 minutes like Kaplan suggests, and picking the best 3 ideas for solving the Pcat's "problem" like global warming or racial intolerance or whatever they throw at you.

1st paragraph: 2 sentences. Sentence 1 restates the problem. Sentence 2 gives a preview of 3 workable solutions.

Each body paragraph suggests a solution. In at least ONE of them, bring up a commonly-stated alternative idea & explain how it's a bad idea, how your idea is better. Say it as if it is just obvious.

Last paragraph restates the problem but says that it can be overcome using a combination of idea1, idea2 and idea3.

Try to do like a newspaper reporter & not use the same word too many times. Use synonyms. Use a person's full name one time and just Dr. Jones or Mr. Brown in other places, stuff like that.

Bring a big eraser with you so you can remove entire sentences in 3 seconds. Anything that is repetitive should get erased.

Look at how much paper they give you to write on. Then look again after you've finished 2 paragraphs. I used about 3/4 of the paper they give you. If it looks like it will be a squeeze, start writing smaller.

I got 4.0/4.0. No idea how to get a 5 unless I can research a subject, cite sources, spend 3 days working on it...

If you get the feeling you are pulling statements out of your butt, that is normal, continue writing. You only have 30 minutes & a pencil.
 
great stuff eric...and I also have NO IDEA how to get a 5. I have a degree in English and I KNOW that my grammar etc should have been a 5 instead of a 4. They're just crunched for time and just throwing out 2, 3, or 4 as they "feel" an essay out. My grammar was perfect. I know I earned my 4 for content, but if I didn't get a 5 for grammar, then no one got a 5.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i haven't looked at that at all... is anyone doing the "thesis, antithesis, synthesis" method from MCAT? or is the prompt totally different?

this belongs in the PCAT subforum.

EDIT: oh i'm ******ed, i AM in the pcat subforum, hahaha. i was wondering why all the topics were pcat related when i clicked out. hahah
 
Thanks, that's a really big help! I did a practice essay using your method, and it really helps organize my thoughts.
One more question--is it always necessary to have three solutions/points or is two okay? Because sometimes when I do practice essays, I can only come up with two really good ones, and I either end up with one really crappy idea in my essay or I spend too much time thinking of a third one and am not able to finish in time.
 
i haven't looked at that at all... is anyone doing the "thesis, antithesis, synthesis" method from MCAT? or is the prompt totally different?

this belongs in the PCAT subforum.

EDIT: oh i'm ******ed, i AM in the pcat subforum, hahaha. i was wondering why all the topics were pcat related when i clicked out. hahah

I used a modified version of that method. Though there is a similar purpose for both the MCAT and PCAT prompts, the PCAT will ask their prompt in a slightly different format where the PCAT doesn't ask for a clear antithesis and synthesis. The PCAT asks more for a position and defense than mandatory balance like the MCAT. The strategy works, just be sure to address the entire PCAT prompt.