PCO vs ICO

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by AT747, Nov 22, 2002.

1. AT747

AT747 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just received invitation letters from both PCO and ICO. And I have few questions for those of you who are currently attending these schools or had an interview in there.

1. What's the cost of living in a one bedroom apt ?
    2. How should I prepare myself for the interview ?
    3. Do you guys like PCO more or ICO ?

2. christie

christie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To answer your questions,

1. A 1-bedroom can range anywhere from $600-$900. It depends on where you live.

2. Just be yourself.

3. PCO is a great school!! But prepared to do a lot of work! I've learned so much here, but its unreal how much work we have to do! :rolleyes:

Go to both interviews and see which one suits you more better.

Gotta go study!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eyegirl2k7

Eyegirl2k7 Bridget Jones here
    7+ Year Member

I don't know about PCO but here's what I know about ICO:
    (1)In Chicago, what neighborhood you live in can drastically change the amount of rent you pay. I know the RC (ICO dorm) is about $600 or so a month, Bridgeport is around $1100. I don't really know about anywhere else. What about a studio? Those are cheaper.

(2)To prepare for my interviews, I studied the schools' website, read over my application and research, and practiced answers to questions I might be asked.

(3)AS I said, I don't know about PCO. ICO Is a great school with an EXCELLENT clinic. They don't do research. I agree with Christie that you should interview at both and see how you feel after that.
    Good luck
    Eyegirl.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    1) Generally, cost-of-living is higher in Chicago than Philly -- though PCO is located in a fairly affluent suburb (if you're trying to live right next to the school).

2) I agree w/christie and eyegirl's advice. I don't know the format of ICO's interview, but PCO's is closed-file -- they're just looking to see what you are like as a person more than anything.

3) Both schools have a solid fanbase on SDN, so they must be doing something right. ;) When you interview at them, try to imagine yourself going to school there and hanging around with the students you meet -- trust your impressions.

Good luck!