PCO vs SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M281384

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCO vs SCO...

wanted to hear pros and cons... and then your opinion...

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both schools and was very impressed by the facilities at both. In the end, I ended up choosing SCO. First I like how the clinic and the school are in the same building/location. Also I had a better experience with the staff and faculty at SCO compared to PCO. Every single person I met was warm and welcoming. Its one of those "feelings" that I knew that this is where I wanted to go next year. My undergrad college is also only a half hour away from PCO and I want to see a new area of the country during my next 4 years. Lastly, I received a scholarship from SCO that only helped me decide that much more. I am so excited to attend SCO next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
330 AA
320 TS
3.58 GPA. Not sure exactly what my science GPA is but it is somewhere close to this.

I have a ton of work/shadowing experience and have been doing undergrad research for the last 3 years. Also I average about 6 hours of community service each week which both schools really liked.

PCO vs SCO...

wanted to hear pros and cons... and then your opinion...

Thanks all!

So currently I've been admitted to SCO and put on hold at PCO. But it doesn't matter b/c I liked SCO better.

PCO:
pros- moderately friendly people
seems like students are cared for and helped by upper class men
philly is more appealing as a city to me than memphis (BUT it snows a lot)
diverse student body, seems like you'd make a lot of friends
conveniently apartments right across the street from the school, you still have to drive though b/c of the clinic.

cons- more expensive
you have to drive to the clinic 5-10 minutes. Our tour was awkward b/c I kept having to climb into a van and hitting my head....grr
They seem really dodgy in terms of getting back to you or giving you a straight answer I was given conflicting information when I've called, and when I went on my actual interview (during open file)
It snows...think of having to shovel off your car
clinic undergoing renovations...looks bad

SCO:
pros- BEST staff EVER they're so friendly it actually surprised me
students are not weeded out (not at pco either, but they really made a point to tell me this)
very supportive professors
those that you learn from in the clinic are actually practicing optometrists (maybe the same for PCO, but wasn't told on the tour)
extremely nice clinic, really up to date equipment
semester system (means less tests and your classes are more spaced out)

cons- this is a big one...Memphis is unappealing (the people are still nice though so I guess that's something)
does not really seem diverse
no Asian food...I'm Asian so I'm scared.
There is nothing around at all.

VERDICT: I liked SCO better by far. Sure Philly is a better city. But you're not going to school for the city its in. You're going to learn, so I'll just deal with it. (unless I get accepted somewhere else..)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info....

What do you mean by this exactly "They seem really dodgy in terms of getting back to you or giving you a straight answer I was given conflicting information when I've called, and when I went on my actual interview (during open file)"

Thanks for the info....

What do you mean by this exactly "They seem really dodgy in terms of getting back to you or giving you a straight answer I was given conflicting information when I've called, and when I went on my actual interview (during open file)"

During my open-file for PCO I was filled with a lot of confidence b/c the admissions counselor was really nice and assured me my credentials were fine. I was then told via letter that a decision would not be made until my fall semester was submitted. Also, when I called they told me they couldn't tell me how important my fall grades would be. So by "dodgy" it was not really anything concrete. I was just given the feeling that they like to reel you in when they may not be seriously considering you as a candidate. I guess that's what happens sometimes, so I'm not naive to that aspect, but I wish they would have given me a better sense of if I'll actually get in.

SCO was really different in that during my interview they made it sound like I was already admitted.

How was your PCO interview? Did it feel strong? Did it take any particular direction? Are your stats on par? I'm consdering going to SCO for an interview, though PCO is my top choice. I'm also tight on money, so I'm not sure what the chances of getting in are (for SCO) after you interview.. this sounds weird, but I don't know if I can risk spending the money and not getting in...

My PCO interview probably wasn't awesome. Not bad either though. I was really nervous b/c I had the Dean of the school interviewing me, but I think by the end I had warmed up. She seemed really pleased with my questions for her and my enthusiasm. I think my stats are in the average to low range. My OAT was a 330 and my gpa is around 3.25, but then again I was pretty involved and I think I went to a fairly competitive school.

I think you should definitely go to SCO. I thought I liked PCO, but after going to SCO it's no longer on my radar. I heard back from SCO after my interview within 4 days. So if you're a competitive applicant I think you stand a good chance of getting in.

Hope that helps.

Just thought id throw my two cents in here. Ill start by saying i didnt visit or apply to SCO so i cant say anything about it. I did go to PCO and was very impressed. While the immediate area that PCO is located in isnt great, its a very short ride into philly which is a very cool city. I found everyone to be extremely friendly, especially my interviewer. I wish i could remember her name but it was basically just a 30 minute conversation. I also had a different experience than the other poster with the admissions office. Out of all the schools I applied to, PCO was definately the most timely and responsive. Also i thought the clinic was great. On the outside you can see where some construction is going on, but once you go in its really a great looking facility, definately the best I have seen. Plus by the time you would get there all of the construction will be done.