Pco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

To those who have interviewed at PCO, I was just wondering what kind of experience they are looking for?

I have:
-shadowed my family optometrist for a few months
-met with 2 other optometrists to talk about the profession
-a lot of volunteer work in hospitals (Emergency Room), long-term care centre
-volunteered on campus as a guide
-worked a part-time job all through undergrad at a financial institution
-worked in a laboratory as an assistant
-volunteered for a lawyer in the summer

..and although unrelated, I have shadowed a physician for 10 months, and shadowed a dentist in a clinic.

Although I have some optometry experience, it isnt as extensive as some of you. Is PCO looking for a lot?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats look great, I'm sure you'll have no problem. Here's my stuff if you wanted to know:

- B.S. Biology, minor Chemistry
- optometric technician since May at 2 different practices (1 private group practice, 1 commercial). The optometrists are related, so it's cool since I work for the same family of optometrists.
- shadowed an optometrist a semester before becoming a tech
- worked as a biology research assistant for a year
- numerous health-related volunteer activities
- member of health-related clubs in college
- charter member of my university's POPS group (pre-optometry professional society)
- engineering technician for about 1.5 years (before I became a biology major, I was in semiconductor engineering... a change for the better I would say!)

Good luck! :luck:

It seems like you have more experince than I did

-I job shawdowed three different OD's about 3 times... so I think yours is a bit more extensive
-EC wise, I only particpate in my community sometimes, I dont really do much at school
-Science maj, psych minor
-Worked partime... full course load every year.

You should be fine... they did however ask me to write an additional essay detailing my Opto experince... I also found during the interview they didnt really ask about Opto experince as much.