Pco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chrissystar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

To those who have interviewed at PCO, I was just wondering what kind of experience they are looking for?

I have:
-shadowed my family optometrist for a few months
-met with 2 other optometrists to talk about the profession
-a lot of volunteer work in hospitals (Emergency Room), long-term care centre
-volunteered on campus as a guide
-worked a part-time job all through undergrad at a financial institution
-worked in a laboratory as an assistant
-volunteered for a lawyer in the summer

..and although unrelated, I have shadowed a physician for 10 months, and shadowed a dentist in a clinic.


Although I have some optometry experience, it isnt as extensive as some of you. Is PCO looking for a lot?
 
Your stats look great, I'm sure you'll have no problem. Here's my stuff if you wanted to know:

- B.S. Biology, minor Chemistry
- optometric technician since May at 2 different practices (1 private group practice, 1 commercial). The optometrists are related, so it's cool since I work for the same family of optometrists.
- shadowed an optometrist a semester before becoming a tech
- worked as a biology research assistant for a year
- numerous health-related volunteer activities
- member of health-related clubs in college
- charter member of my university's POPS group (pre-optometry professional society)
- engineering technician for about 1.5 years (before I became a biology major, I was in semiconductor engineering... a change for the better I would say!)

Good luck! :luck:
 
It seems like you have more experince than I did

-I job shawdowed three different OD's about 3 times... so I think yours is a bit more extensive
-EC wise, I only particpate in my community sometimes, I dont really do much at school
-Science maj, psych minor
-Worked partime... full course load every year.

You should be fine... they did however ask me to write an additional essay detailing my Opto experince... I also found during the interview they didnt really ask about Opto experince as much.