PCOM - Asians and Latinos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinaeDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at the D.O. CIB, the MSAR of the osteopathic world, and it seems there's a recurring trend of low numbers of latino and asian matriculation. I first suspected that the numbers were off because of self-reporting (as well as some not selecting their race on the form), but I clearly see asians and latinos hover around 8% and 0%, respectively over the past few years. It's strange to see such low numbers for a huge DO school in one of the best cities, especially for medicine. I assume that some Asians, including South Asians, self-select out of the school if they find that they don't "fit." I'm hoping that's the case, rather than some other cynical possibility. I ask because I'm Asian with NY state residency, no PA ties (so not getting any regional preference), and was planning on applying to PCOM. Can anyone comment on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm here to boost dem numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but are you suggesting you might not get accepted to PCOM because you are asian?

There are asians, blacks and hispanics in my class. Not sure what statistics you were referencing, but they definitely aren't accurate.

Plenty of latinos and PLENTY of asians in my class at PCOM.....