PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justalittlestar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally applying to PCOM-PA for Fall 2015. My application is almost complete just waiting on my scores from 1/8 MCAT and my LOR is in the mail. Anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I have a sub-3.0 GPA that's below their average 3.2 that they accept that's why I'm in a hurry to get my app in :unsure: I'm still hoping for the best as my academic record has an upward trend and I've had some pretty good clinical exposure since I've been out of college (I'm non-traditional). I get my MCAT score in 3 days... and I'm not gonna lie I'm really scared the Jan 8th exam was my first sitting for the test and I'm not sure what to expect as my practice scores varied.

I'm also applying to Rowan GSBS, RWJ GSBS, Hampton University Medical Science Program, and Drexel DPMS also. PCOM-PA is my top choice though because it's in my city and is well-regarded. I also visited about a year ago during an graduate program open house and really liked the school and the campus.

Best of luck to those also applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to PCOM-PA as well. And RWJ GSBS, Drexel DPMS.

I just applied to PCOM Biomedical Science-PA, and was marked complete last week. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back? This program is my first choice! I really want to go to PCOM and even though it's not an official "linkage program" at least your guaranteed an interview with a GPA of a 3.0 and above.

I'm applying to PCOM-GA. Also waiting for LOR and my MCAT score from Jan 8!

I applied to PCOM GA. I have to resubmit my LORs because they weren't on letterheads ugh

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to post bacc programs so I can enhance my chances for medical school because my stats simply suck. I posted my stats below so if anyone can chance me for PCOM, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to spend money where I know there'll be no chance of me getting in :/

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19

I know someone who got in with similar stats. 16 mcat

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to post bacc programs so I can enhance my chances for medical school because my stats simply suck. I posted my stats below so if anyone can chance me for PCOM, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to spend money where I know there'll be no chance of me getting in :/

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19

I know someone who got in the medical school with a 22 mcat so a 19 for postbac isn't bad at all, and the gpa isn't bad if you apply early.

How soon do you hear back after all your LOR, MCAT, and applications are submitted? Does anyone happen to know?

Hey guys! I am new to SDN, this is the first time I have ever posted on here. Jyssia, I was just accepted yesterday into the PCOM-GA Biomedical Sciences program. It took around a month to get a letter. My application was complete on January 26, and I just got the letter yesterday. My stats were not outstanding by any means, but were enough to get me in. My cGPA was about a 3.04, sGPA was around a 2.7-2.8, and my MCAT score was 25. I am currently retaking 14 credit hours of courses I received 'C's in, so I hope to bring both of those GPA stats up by May, and I am highly considering an MCAT retake over the summer. I would love to hear from anyone who will be attending PCOM-GA as well in Fall 2015. I wish you all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I am new to SDN, this is the first time I have ever posted on here. Jyssia, I was just accepted yesterday into the PCOM-GA Biomedical Sciences program. It took around a month to get a letter. My application was complete on January 26, and I just got the letter yesterday. My stats were not outstanding by any means, but were enough to get me in. My cGPA was about a 3.04, sGPA was around a 2.7-2.8, and my MCAT score was 25. I am currently retaking 14 credit hours of courses I received 'C's in, so I hope to bring both of those GPA stats up by May, and I am highly considering an MCAT retake over the summer. I would love to hear from anyone who will be attending PCOM-GA as well in Fall 2015. I wish you all the best!

Hi there! I got my letter from GA-PCOM yesterday!

Thats cool thansk for the info. Im waiting for my transcripts and my LOR to get there. As far as the Biographical statement is that just a personal statement you send in. I answered all the essay quesitons and I assumed that would be fine, but maybe not?

Congrats on your acceptance!! I was wondering the GPA you listed, was that an average or with grade replacement?

Thanks and congrats again!

Thats cool thansk for the info. Im waiting for my transcripts and my LOR to get there. As far as the Biographical statement is that just a personal statement you send in. I answered all the essay quesitons and I assumed that would be fine, but maybe not?

Yep, it's just a personal statement. I had to send mine through email. Good luck!

Yep, it's just a personal statement. I had to send mine through email. Good luck!

I thought the biographical statement was the essay that was already a part of the online application.

Hmm okay, that's good to know. I'll send it out tomorrow.
I only answered the questions in paragraph form and I was marked complete as the biographical statement. I didn't send anything additional

Anyone have an opinion on sending an extra letter of recommendation besides the 1 recommendation that's required? Will an extra be accepted? Does it look bad?

I only answered the questions in paragraph form and I was marked complete as the biographical statement. I didn't send anything additional

Hmm Maybe I should just send mine just in case. I also sent in my application fee last week but that hasn't updated either. :/

Hi there! I got my letter from GA-PCOM yesterday!
Hey congrats!!! I am happy to meet new classmates! I am not sure how to message individually, but perhaps you would like to message and we could talk about plans for the upcoming academic year in Georgia!

Jyssia, if I can remember correctly, I believe that you are correct in that we had to answer questions in the application. But I also believe the application requires a separate "Biographical Statement". I sent that in separate, and I just basically included my story in what led me to medicine, what I liked about PCOM, and my future plans in medical school and beyond.

Anyone have an opinion on sending an extra letter of recommendation besides the 1 recommendation that's required? Will an extra be accepted? Does it look bad?
Justalittlestar, I believe I also sent in an extra letter of recommendation. In my opinion, I don't see how it could be viewed negatively. Any extra recommendations would probably be beneficial, just don't send them too many lol.

Congrats on your acceptance!! I was wondering the GPA you listed, was that an average or with grade replacement?

Thanks and congrats again!
sparksfly21, hey thank you! I was relieved to hear it, and I am excited to get the ball rolling. The GPA I listed, the one I applied to PCOM with, was a 3.05 cumulative, and about a 2.7-2.8 science GPA. That is what I currently have without grade replacement. However, I am in the middle of a semester of grade replacements, and am projecting to bring the GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 after I am done with grade replacement this semester. Considering also retaking 8 additional credits in the summer, and that would bring it up to a 3.4. This is assuming A's in all of the retakes. It's just a slow climb up, but it will be worth it in the end! Let me know if I can help in any other ways.

For those who were accepted how long did it take to hear back after your application was complete?

sparksfly21, hey thank you! I was relieved to hear it, and I am excited to get the ball rolling. The GPA I listed, the one I applied to PCOM with, was a 3.05 cumulative, and about a 2.7-2.8 science GPA. That is what I currently have without grade replacement. However, I am in the middle of a semester of grade replacements, and am projecting to bring the GPA up to a 3.2-3.3 after I am done with grade replacement this semester. Considering also retaking 8 additional credits in the summer, and that would bring it up to a 3.4. This is assuming A's in all of the retakes. It's just a slow climb up, but it will be worth it in the end! Let me know if I can help in any other ways.

That's similar to my stats as well and I'm basically following the same path however my mcat is incredibly low which I think will play a huge disadvantage to me. I am planning on retaking it depending on the master's program I get into but more than likely I will take it before matriculation (that's if I get accepted anywhere!)

I was just accepted into PCOM-PA campus today. I was complete around the first week of February.

Cool. Quick turn around time.

Congrats also to your acceptances!

My app is still showing incomplete they are waiting on a LOR which interfolio sent... I have to call tomorrow.

I sent 3. MD/DO and Physics teacher. Which I had to RESEND all because they apparently weren't on letterheads.

I sent 3. MD/DO and Physics teacher. Which I had to RESEND all because they apparently weren't on letterheads.

Okay I sent two.

The letterhead requirement set me back a few weeks also. I guess I assumed my instructors would know to write the LOR on letterhead. I learned my lesson.

If you guys can, I would suggest sending the required letters for DO admission. If you end up deciding to apply PCOM DO, they can transfer the letters you sent in your biomed application.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I submitted my application on 3/3/2015. I don't remember paying the fee. Is there a way to check the status of my application?

Hi everyone! I submitted my application on 3/3/2015. I don't remember paying the fee. Is there a way to check the status of my application?
I believe you have to send a money order or check into the school. Good luck!

Apparently, they download applications once in the beginning of the week and further instructions are sent. Just in case anyone else is wondering :)

Hey guys, so the biographical statement was finally checked off as completed and I didnt have to send in another biographical statement. They took the one straight off the paragraph in the application

I had to send another biographical statement, in PDF form, outside of the questions on the application. I was finally marked complete yesterday, I submitted months ago. This school has given me a headache.

Hello all,

I'm a current first year Biomed at GA-PCOM and my stats when applying were: 2.80 cGPA, 22 MCAT, and solid LoR. Those of you that are worrying- don't. If I can get in with all the mistakes I've made in undergrad, I'm positive you can too.

If anyone needs any critiques on their personal statements or has questions regarding the program, please don't hesitate to message me. I'd be happy to help.

I had to send another biographical statement, in PDF form, outside of the questions on the application. I was finally marked complete yesterday, I submitted months ago. This school has given me a headache.

I mailed in my personal statement but the 'biographical statement' column in my application summary is still blank I was hoping it'd be updated today. I just called the admissions office and apparently they're processing things slowly because of snow days.

So... More waiting :unsure:

Yeah, unfortunately it seems a little disorganized. I received a receipt for my application fee but then its still not updated online. And that was almost a month ago. :/

Yeah, unfortunately it seems a little disorganized. I received a receipt for my application fee but then its still not updated online. And that was almost a month ago. :/
I finally got a complete email. Today I got an email from the admissions people on the Georgia's campus saying "please call me when you can".. So I called and she said "oh Nevermind I wanted to ask you about your schools but I figured it out"???? --who knows what that means

Last edited:
I finally got a complete email. Today I got an email from the admissions people on the Georgia's campus saying "please call me when you can".. So I called and she said "oh Nevermind I wanted to ask you about your schools but I figured it out"???? --who knows what that means
That is... odd lol

So this is the million dollar question, but does PCOM offer any type of linkage with their medical school through this MS in Biomedical Science? I have seen some forums online that mention it, but I have not received anything formal on it. If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated!

So this is the million dollar question, but does PCOM offer any type of linkage with their medical school through this MS in Biomedical Science? I have seen some forums online that mention it, but I have not received anything formal on it. If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated!

"If a certificate or degree candidate applies for admission to our DO program, he/she is guaranteed an interview only if students have complete application files, are in good academic standing, and maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 with no F's or W's at the conclusion of the second term of the certificate year or in the second year."

http://admissions.pcom.edu/faq/

"If a certificate or degree candidate applies for admission to our DO program, he/she is guaranteed an interview only if students have complete application files, are in good academic standing, and maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 with no F's or W's at the conclusion of the second term of the certificate year or in the second year."

http://admissions.pcom.edu/faq/

Is there a minimum mcat requirement for their DO program if you do get a 3.0 during post bacc?