PCOM Biomedical Sciences VS ACHE MSB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babanim

Reaction score
I have currently been accepted to PCOMs and ACHEs special masters programs, and I am so very thankful for being in this pickle. I am wondering if anyone could give insight/advice on what they have heard about the various programs and what they would choose if they were in my position. I also know the famous saying, "Best to do one at a med school with some sort of linkage, is a year in length, and has the least tuition."

PCOM
pros
  • guaranteed interview:
    • Passed all biomedical sciences courses to date at the full-time completion rate with no withdraws or failures. Biomedical sciences cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
    • “Overall Science” GPA of 3.2 or higher as calculated by AACOMAS.
  • one of the *best* DO schools in terms of preclinical and clinical if I get accepted upon completion
  • more established and good reputation
  • more urban/city environment
  • closer to home (3/4 hours)
cons
  • possibility of doing 2 years since not a lot of 1st year students are accepted based on the threads I have read
  • more expensive COA
  • larger class size

ACHE/ARCOM
pros
  • guaranteed interview:
    • students who successfully complete the program with a grade of B or better. Get a B or higher and anatomy will be waived if we attend the COM.
    • their first year, I think 34 out of 40 students got in
  • cheaper COA, tuition is about 5K
  • 1 year
  • smaller class size
  • after having gone to their open house, it seems like program director and faculty really support and champion for the students in terms of the linkage
cons
  • newer school and program, so less established (can also be a pro in terms of facilities)
  • much farther away from home (18 hours)
  • more rural environment, "big town" feel

Please let me know if you have any additional pros/cons or if have personal experience with either of the schools! I ultimately want to choose the path that will put me into medical school while making sure that I am prepared and supported academically and socially. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have currently been accepted to PCOMs and ACHEs special masters programs (also got accepted into WVSOM program), and I am so very thankful for being in this pickle. I am wondering if anyone could give insight/advice on what they have heard about the various programs and what they would choose if they were in my position. I also know the famous saying, "Best to do one at a med school with some sort of linkage, is a year in length, and has the least tuition."
PCOM
pros
  • guaranteed interview:
    • Passed all biomedical sciences courses to date at the full-time completion rate with no withdraws or failures. Biomedical sciences cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
    • “Overall Science” GPA of 3.2 or higher as calculated by AACOMAS.
  • one of the *best* DO schools in terms of preclinical and clinical if I get accepted upon completion
  • more established and good reputation
  • more urban/city environment
  • closer to home (3/4 hours)
cons
  • possibility of doing 2 years since not a lot of 1st year students are accepted based on the threads I have read
  • more expensive COA
  • larger class size

ACHE/ARCOM
pros
  • guaranteed interview:
    • students who successfully complete the program with a grade of B or better. Get a B or higher and anatomy will be waived if we attend the COM.
    • their first year, I think 34 out of 40 students got in
  • cheaper COA, tuition is about 5K
  • 1 year
  • smaller class size
  • after having gone to their open house, it seems like program director and faculty really support and champion for the students in terms of the linkage
cons
  • newer school and program, so less established (can also be a pro in terms of facilities)
  • much farther away from home (18 hours)
  • more rural environment, "big town" feel

Please let me know if you have any additional pros/cons or if have personal experience with either of the schools! I ultimately want to choose the path that will put me into medical school while making sure that I am prepared and supported academically and socially. Thanks for your help!
I am currently in ACHE’s master’s program and love it! Yes, if you maintain a “B” average or above then you get the interview. We will still have to take anatomy again in the fall though. 😣 Hopefully I can comment on linkage this year within the next week or so. You may PM me if you have questions.

I have currently been accepted to PCOMs and ACHEs special masters programs, and I am so very thankful for being in this pickle. I am wondering if anyone could give insight/advice on what they have heard about the various programs and what they would choose if they were in my position. I also know the famous saying, "Best to do one at a med school with some sort of linkage, is a year in length, and has the least tuition."

I am currently in ACHE’s master’s program and love it! Yes, if you maintain a “B” average or above then you get the interview. We will still have to take anatomy again in the fall though. 😣 Hopefully I can comment on linkage this year within the next week or so. You may PM me if you have questions.
Thank you for your feedback and if I have more questions I will definitely PM you. I look forward to hearing more about the linkage so if you can share that would be amazing. Good luck with the rest of the semester 👏

• Love
I got accepted to ARCOM yesterday and many of my classmates in the master’s program did as well. The linkage is great this year too. Good luck!