PCOM DO/PHD advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccermac42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have turned down over ten interviews because of being accepted at VCOM-CC which is close to my home. Two days ago I received a interview at PCOM for the DO/PHD program. I have always wanted to do both a PHD and get a medical education. My concerns are is PCOM a very good school and will the PHD help or hinder me. The long term goals are to be a physician who treats patients with neurological disorders specifically MS and do some research. Thanks for your opinions in advance. I want advice not discouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

You can achieve your goals without getting a PhD. There are a lot of physician researchers without the PhD. Are the extra 3 years worth it? I don't think neurology is terribly DO unfriendly so I think you could expect a match without the PhD.

You can achieve your goals without getting a PhD. There are a lot of physician researchers without the PhD. Are the extra 3 years worth it? I don't think neurology is terribly DO unfriendly so I think you could expect a match without the PhD.
Thanks man I was thinking the same. I don't mind the extra years at all since I am just 22. I just want to make sure the PhD would be worth my time. I ideally would want to do research some on treatments or preventative treatments for neurological disorders and treat patients also.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did assume you want to do a neurology specialty is that the case?

I know that the PhD route pays for med school (or helps pay for school) so if you aren't worried about the extra three years then maybe it is a good option. Certainly not required for what you want to do though. Best of luck!

5ish months into med school and I couldn't imagine extending this any longer than I have to. If you do the PhD it has to be something you absolutely want to do

Don't do it. You have to pay the first two years of tuition and then you get a PhD from a substandard institution. This means money available for the fancy equipment and techniques won't be there. Your research mentor is not top of his field. You're much better off getting a strong academic residency followed by a research fellowship.

Reactions: 2 users
Just from the way you phrased the vision of your future career (patient care with a little bit of research) makes it clear that you have no business getting a PhD. Those who are serious about a PhD are usually looking to make research the focus of their careers. Throw in the fact that you wouldn't be at a highly regarded institution and I'd say it's pretty obvious you should turn it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I have turned down over ten interviews because of being accepted at VCOM-CC which is close to my home. Two days ago I received a interview at PCOM for the DO/PHD program. I have always wanted to do both a PHD and get a medical education. My concerns are is PCOM a very good school and will the PHD help or hinder me. The long term goals are to be a physician who treats patients with neurological disorders specifically MS and do some research. Thanks for your opinions in advance. I want advice not discouragement.

Unless you want to become a physician scientist who is solely dedicated to research I would highly suggest against it. Even at decent MD/PhD programs, its a grueling experience to become an independent investigator and additionally, HOLD that position (which means continuously winning or renewing your grants) for years on out.

As @MeatTornado said, the PhD is coming from (no offense) an unknown institution. A search through NIH Reporter there are 4 active NIH grants at that institution where the PhD will be conducted, with none of them being R01's. That type of limitation isn't good for your career as a scientist especially when you have multiple neighboring institutions in Penn (Temple, UPenn, PennState) that have highly regarded research divisions in a multitude of fields.

Reactions: 1 user
It just comes down to how serious you are in research. If I'm going with DO/PHD route, I'd make sure my interest is at least 70% research. Otherwise, it's not worth it as you'll be able to do it with a DO degree anyways.