PCOM (DO) (Philly) vs Albany (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceverus

Reaction score
Can someone offer some advice, please? any insights on their tuitions and living expenses? I am from Florida. Also I would appreciate any recommendations if you had to choose to attend one. Is this MD vs DO "inequality I hear of" something I should really consider? I am originally from Cuba; we just have doctors. I will likely go into primary care or emergency. any advice is welcome. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM is probably one of the best DO schools in the biz so the actual difference in your education between them and a run of the mill MD Albany program is negligible. That being said, the bias is more real in high competitive specialties. Primary Care and ER have plenty of DO's. What are each of their financials?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Albany. Yes, the bias is real. You'd still have a chance at anything you wanted at PCOM, but you'll make this much easier on yourself if you just pick Albany.

Reactions: 1 user
PCOM is probably one of the best DO schools in the biz so the actual difference in your education between them and a run of the mill MD Albany program is negligible. That being said, the bias is more real in high competitive specialties. Primary Care and ER have plenty of DO's. What are each of their financials?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
lol a run of the mill?

PCOM is a good school and matches plenty of people into Primary Care and EM. That being said, take MD - the DO bias is unfortunately very real (though moreso for competitive specialties and top academic programs). For this reason alone, I don't think you should limit yourself if you have the choice. Albany is also a good school (just a bit colder).