PCOM-Ga or LMU-DCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuliaJulia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you like rural life or were seriously wowed by LMU I'd go with PCOM-GA especially since its one of the legacy DO schools.

Last edited:
based on facilties i'd go with lmu-dcom. based on overall, its tough to turn pcom down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar dilema here but with VCOM-Va. added in the mix...so glad you started this thread. The deposit deadline is looming and decisions to be made. All of these schools have positive attributes that is making this choice difficult. I lean toward one school and then change my mind and lean toward another school, etc. etc. Any current students that could chime in here? I know, I know go where you felt most comfortable and welcome...but that includes all of these schools. Really thankful to have these choices as I am one of those "underdogs". Didn't really think I would have this opportunity before Christmas! So don't give up!

Similar dilema here but with VCOM-Va. added in the mix...so glad you started this thread. The deposit deadline is looming and decisions to be made. All of these schools have positive attributes that is making this choice difficult. I lean toward one school and then change my mind and lean toward another school, etc. etc. Any current students that could chime in here? I know, I know go where you felt most comfortable and welcome...but that includes all of these schools. Really thankful to have these choices as I am one of those "underdogs". Didn't really think I would have this opportunity before Christmas! So don't give up!
i've been accepted to all three, and i chose vcom because i want to be in either a university or an urban setting.

LMU-DCOM is also a university.

I am really having the hardest time deciding between these two schools. I had 2 other schools in the mix but I've narrowed it down to LMU-DCOM and PCOM-Ga.

LMU-DCOM-- lower cost, excellent board preparation, good rotations

PCOM-Ga-- closer to home, excellent reputation, good rotations

PLEASE HELP

I would take reputation out of the mix... PCOM-GA does not yet have an excellent reputation... Yes PCOM does, but thats in Philly where they work side by side with the other schools. The georgia campus is new. It hasn't been around for 100 years like PCOM. So it won't have that same reputation in georgia

OK thank you for your input. It's so hard to find information on these schools. I don't know which one to choose..

I think you should choose where you felt most at home.. In the end, it is where you are happiest that is most important.

I have a very short time left to decide between these two great programs. I am really looking for some insight and help. Please post your thoughts :)

I am a first year D.O. student at PCOM GA. I can't speak for LMU; I'm sure that it is a fine school.

As for PCOM GA, it turned out to be the right choice for me for several reasons:

1. Professors go out of their way to help you succeed. If you are strugglying academically (all of us do in one course or another) you get tutoring and an opportunity to remediate if need be, counseling, whatever.
2. The curriculum is integrated. By that I mean while you are dissecting your cadaver's lungs you are learning about the anatomy in lecture and listening to lung sounds in primary skills class. Everything you learn in one class is related to the subject matter of your other classes. You see early on how it all fits together.
3. The upperclass students helped us from day one with tips on studying and the professors, what to expect and that sort of thing. It took a lot of the anxiety away. Helping the new guys is a tradition and our class will help you and your class even before orientation starts next August.
4. The school is located in a beautiful suburb of Atlanta. There is a lot to see and do in your limited "free" time (don't count on very much).
5. The learning technology is first rate.

There are many other reasons but these are some major ones to consider.

Good luck.

Hey lawyerdoc :) Hope your semester is finishing up nicely for you!

It's funny because all the things you listed for pcom-ga, you definitely get here. The only debatable one is the location thing- however, depending on your interests, LMU might be better in some regards. If you love outdoors activities, it's perfect. Students go hiking all the time...not to mention there are great running trails. And Knoxville is not that far if you do need to get out. I personally was always a city girl and I have adjusted just fine. Plus, like lawyerdoc said, you have such little free time to do anything outside of just watching a movie here and there, or whatever it may be.

That being said, since both these schools offer amazing classmates to mentor, fantastic faculty, great technology, etc. I really think location is KEY. If pcom-ga is closer to home for you, you might want to go there if you're very close to your family. That is a big issue for some of my classmates I know (not that that is DCOM's fault, but it still argues in pcom's favor for your situation). Personally, I love it here and have yet to hear any of my classmates disagree. The rural setting is perfect for preventing distraction. Plus I love the mountains :)

Sorry lawyerdoc, you knew I'd have to put my two cents in on this one though. It's the battle of our schools ;)

I almost forgot though...

As far as actual differences to consider- we have an integrated curriculum this first semester and then we switch into systems based, which I don't believe pcom has? I'm looking forward to it and hear great things from upperclassmen.

On the note of our faculty too, they truly are amazing. Where else do you get an anatomy prof explaining the fossas of the skull using a chicken bucket with holes cut in it, an analogy for the urogenital diaphram using a big mac (will never look at them the same way again), an organ fashion show where you get to paint all over classmates and model, and highly entertaining powerpoints with musical interludes? Not to mention things like profs offering their houses for showers and laundry when the water main broke and the dean and another prof smoked pit barbecue for everyone's friends and families during white coat weekend. Amazing. The only way to describe this family- even though we have a larger class, it's family for sure.