PCOM Georgia campus DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkesome

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about this program? The FAQ page on the website just provides info on the PT profession as a whole and not the program. It says they're hoping to have their first class start in June of 2018 but there is no admissions info anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

That's news to me and I'm a Georgia resident. I did a quick search and it's in the process of getting candidacy status, which I'm assuming they need before setting up shop here. There are already 7 schools in Georgia with Brenau still in the candidacy stage so I have to wonder if they'll be granted candidacy status.

Reactions: 1 user
That's news to me and I'm a Georgia resident. I did a quick search and it's in the process of getting candidacy status, which I'm assuming they need before setting up shop here. There are already 7 schools in Georgia with Brenau still in the candidacy stage so I have to wonder if they'll be granted candidacy status.

Yes they won't start the application process until they are farther along in the accreditation process, but they do hope to have their first class next year. UNG had a lot of turnover in their DPT faculty a few years ago and several of them have gone to PCOM (the founding PT used to work at UNG too).

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, 7 PT schools in GA! That's crazy. I guess PT school is that profitable. Hope the market doesn't get too saturated in GA.

I don't know anything about the program specifics, but I do know a good portion of the faculty. I am currently in my last year at UNG and we had a lot of turnover during my first two years. Many of the faculty members went to PCOM. I absolutely loved those faculty members and highly recommend them, so I wouldn't hesitate to tell future applicants to apply there.

I don't know anything about the program specifics, but I do know a good portion of the faculty. I am currently in my last year at UNG and we had a lot of turnover during my first two years. Many of the faculty members went to PCOM. I absolutely loved those faculty members and highly recommend them, so I wouldn't hesitate to tell future applicants to apply there.

Do you recommend UNG? I am attending there for undergrad and every PT that I've shadowed that went there has told me not to go there unless it is my last option.

Do you recommend UNG? I am attending there for undergrad and every PT that I've shadowed that went there has told me not to go there unless it is my last option.

At this moment, no I would not. When I first started here I definitely would but the program has gone through SO many changes in the past two years. I still love several of the professors and would highly recommend them, but not the program as a whole.

At this moment, no I would not. When I first started here I definitely would but the program has gone through SO many changes in the past two years. I still love several of the professors and would highly recommend them, but not the program as a whole.

That's what I thought. I am in the pre PT club and the admissions director told us something along the lines of, "The new faculty are really learning a lot from the students," and that seemed quite odd to me.

Not sure how relevant this may be but applying to UNG left a pretty bad taste in my mouth... Granted I applied a bit later than most (end of August), I didn't hear from them for several months and when I asked for my rejection letter (in December) just to have closure, they seemed really unapologetic. I don't know if anything's changed when I was an applicant 2 years ago, but it's a a waste of money if you aren't going to apply early. Friends of mine that applied earlier than me received alternate position interviews in September which I think is rather silly. Hope that helps!

Not sure how relevant this may be but applying to UNG left a pretty bad taste in my mouth... Granted I applied a bit later than most (end of August), I didn't hear from them for several months and when I asked for my rejection letter (in December) just to have closure, they seemed really unapologetic. I don't know if anything's changed when I was an applicant 2 years ago, but it's a a waste of money if you aren't going to apply early. Friends of mine that applied earlier than me received alternate position interviews in September which I think is rather silly. Hope that helps!

Yes, they make it very known that they only take people who apply early. They don't require early decision where its binding, but they do typically fill their incoming classes by late August or September!

UNG has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth in general (I am there for undergrad). Everyone I have talked to said to not go there for pt school unless you have to. I have heard of several people not hearing back from them after they applied.

@hawkesome That was exactly my case haha. Are you planning on applying to schools this cycle or are you still just scoping around for program info?

@hawkesome That was exactly my case haha. Are you planning on applying to schools this cycle or are you still just scoping around for program info?

I'm applying this cycle. Right now the plan is to apply ED to UTC, but I'm still considering Emory, Mercer, GSU, and maybe PCOM.

@hawkesome Cool cool, I'm currently at Emory, but feel free to ask me about where I'm at, Mercer, or GSU since I applied to those schools as well!

I am meeting with the program director at PCOM this week to learn more about their program. I can message you afterwards if you'd like!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Please do, that would be great! I emailed him a few weeks ago and he said he would email me when he knows more but I haven't heard back.

I am meeting with the program director at PCOM this week to learn more about their program. I can message you afterwards if you'd like!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I am interested in their program too! Could you also message me when you find anything out. Thanks!!