PCOM (PA Campus) vs. KCUCOM vs. NYITCOM vs. OU-HCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poloboy

Livin' that MS4 life
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As deadline season is fast-approaching, "vs" threads are growing. I thought I'd make one as well to decide on a school to attend for the next most important four years of my life.

I've been accepted to PCOM (PA Campus) and KCU-COM. I also interviewed at NYIT-COM a few weeks ago. I'll be interviewing at OU-HCOM (their DO/PhD dual degree program) in two weeks. It might not be the perfect time to decide on a school without knowing the outcome of the latter two schools. However, for the sake of deposit deadlines for the first two schools coming up, I thought gaining insight from you fabulous friends may assist in my near-future decision making.

My top priority is the quality of the program being offered and of the faculty for whom help prepare students for board exams. Proximity to home and the cost of attendance aren't too important, neither is the location/setting of the school.

Comparing equally great programs to each other is difficult, but I'd appreciate any input you guys may have that pertains to aspects you like/dislike about these four schools. Thanks in advance for helping a brother out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't ouhcom make you practice in Ohio or something after you graduate?

Go to PCOM. It's well regarded within philly with great rotations. Unless you're from Ohio because that would be my second then KCU because it's a great program

Members don't see this ad :)
if ohio, go ohio, then its a tossup between kcu and pcom, pcom bc its philly has is established , but kcu bc solid match/boards

Reactions: 1 user
Two questions, do you want your PhD? And would you mind spending 5 years post-grad in Ohio?

Id go with PCOM as of right now due to the reasons posted above, but theyre all amazing options!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Definitely not OU-HCOM. Why would anyone not from Ohio want to sign a 5-year commitment to practice there?!!!

Two questions, do you want your PhD? And would you mind spending 5 years post-grad in Ohio?

Id go with PCOM as of right now due to the reasons posted above, but theyre all amazing options!

I want a school where there are research opportunities, even if not for the PhD. I don't mind practicing medicine in Ohio for 5 years.

Definitely not OU-HCOM. Why would anyone not from Ohio want to sign a 5-year commitment to practice there?!!!

OU-HCOM has CORE which is great.

Congrats on the acceptances to PCOM and KCU-COM. The two are pretty even in everything tuition, class size etc.

Your best bet is go with your interview experience. Did you feel more comfortable in Kansas city area or Philly area. Did you meet the students and get the vibe like they were the future you or were you like these people are idiots. Check out housing options.

Personally, if I had your great choices i would go with PCOM. The close proximity to multiple schools (Drexel, Temple, more) would make getting on a research much easier. The alumni base and proven product is solid.

OU-HCOM is a really nice option. You can opt out of the 5 year commitment with $$$ by the way. I wouldn't worry about it though until you get accepted. Its pretty competitive for out of state students.

Good luck OP! Hope you go to your dream school (which ever one it is).

Major Division 1 University in one of the best states for medicine @ OU-HCOM. Hard to count that out

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Congrats on the acceptances to PCOM and KCU-COM. The two are pretty even in everything tuition, class size etc.

Your best bet is go with your interview experience. Did you feel more comfortable in Kansas city area or Philly area. Did you meet the students and get the vibe like they were the future you or were you like these people are idiots. Check out housing options.

Personally, if I had your great choices i would go with PCOM. The close proximity to multiple schools (Drexel, Temple, more) would make getting on a research much easier. The alumni base and proven product is solid.

OU-HCOM is a really nice option. You can opt out of the 5 year commitment with $$$ by the way. I wouldn't worry about it though until you get accepted. Its pretty competitive for out of state students.

Thanks buddy! I loved KCU and PCOM when I visited. I think I'll fit in to both schools. I especially like KCU for their accelerated four-year DO/MBA program. I felt more at home in Philly than in KC. I didn't hear about opting out of OU's five-year commitment. I still need to do more research on OU.

Major Division 1 University in one of the best states for medicine @ OU-HCOM. Hard to count that out

Being a major public D1 university is definitely a plus! How so is Ohio one of the best states for medicine in your opinion? Would you choose OU-HCOM over PCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want a school where there are research opportunities, even if not for the PhD. I don't mind practicing medicine in Ohio for 5 years.

OU-HCOM has CORE which is great.

CORE is not worth it at all. Especially compared to the other schools you got into. What are you thinking of specializing into?

Also Philly is one of the biggest medical hubs in the U.S.! And there's PLENTY of research going on in PCOM's buildings alone...

CORE is not worth it at all. Especially compared to the other schools you got into. What are you thinking of specializing into?

Probably Internal Medicine

Also Philly is one of the biggest medical hubs in the U.S.! And there's PLENTY of research going on in PCOM's buildings alone...

PCOM and its surrounding institutions for sure seem to have research opportunities.

Being a major public D1 university is definitely a plus! How so is Ohio one of the best states for medicine in your opinion? Would you choose OU-HCOM over PCOM?
Ohio University has some of the best rotation sites for DOs. They have a very nice connection with the Cleveland clinic and Ohio Health systems. If you're thinking of sub specializing in internal med the Cleveland clinic is literally the best in the world for cardiology. Also, the research going on at OU is 100% unprecedented at DO schools because of the Academic Research Center. An entire 8 story building dedicated to collaborative research among all scientific fields at OU.

PCOM has one of the best reputations as a DO school but OU-HCOM is rapidly approaching elite status as well (and is already there for me) and if you want the dual degree and more research opportunities or getting involved with the Diabetes Institute, the Ohio Musculoskeletal and Neurological Institute, or the Tropical disease Institute right on campus then OU would be for you.

Honestly, you're not gonna go wrong picking either school. They're both great but I could really use a roommate!

Ohio University has some of the best rotation sites for DOs. They have a very nice connection with the Cleveland clinic and Ohio Health systems. If you're thinking of sub specializing in internal med the Cleveland clinic is literally the best in the world for cardiology. Also, the research going on at OU is 100% unprecedented at DO schools because of the Academic Research Center. An entire 8 story building dedicated to collaborative research among all scientific fields at OU.

PCOM has one of the best reputations as a DO school but OU-HCOM is rapidly approaching elite status as well (and is already there for me) and if you want the dual degree and more research opportunities or getting involved with the Diabetes Institute, the Ohio Musculoskeletal and Neurological Institute, or the Tropical disease Institute right on campus then OU would be for you.

Honestly, you're not gonna go wrong picking either school. They're both great but I could really use a roommate!

These are the reasons that will make deciding between these two schools so difficult. But I'm pretty much sold to OU for now because you'd be an awesome roommate!

These are the reasons that will make deciding between these two schools so difficult. But I'm pretty much sold to OU for now because you'd be an awesome roommate!
Haha yessss

Thanks buddy! I loved KCU and PCOM when I visited. I think I'll fit in to both schools. I especially like KCU for their accelerated four-year DO/MBA program. I felt more at home in Philly than in KC. I didn't hear about opting out of OU's five-year commitment. I still need to do more research on OU.

IMO this is the most important factor, because the schools you are deciding between are all great.

This is tough, I would choose between OU and PCOM. I honestly don't think the 5 year commitment is that bad but that is just me. Howbnad do you want the PHD?

I did some research on OU-HCOM but didn't see that students can opt out of the 5-year commitment with money. Just curious where/who you hear that from? I'd like to learn more about it.

Edit: Are you referring to what is stated in the contract?

Last edited:
This is tough, I would choose between OU and PCOM. I honestly don't think the 5 year commitment is that bad but that is just me. Howbnad do you want the PHD?

I'd like to do research, so the dual degree program is intriguing. But PCOM also offers the DO/PhD...

I did some research on OU-HCOM but didn't see that students can opt out of the 5-year commitment with money. Just curious where/who you hear that from? I'd like to learn more about it.

Edit: Are you referring to what is stated in the contract?
Read it while looking at previous threads. This is one mention from 2013 thread . I just re-read it and they mentioned that the stipulations change from year to year. Another poster mentioned that they do talk about it in detail during the interview though

If you are an OOS student, there is a 5yr contract--you agree to work in the state of OH for 5 years after you graduate (in some cases, residency years count toward this 5 years). There is an option to "buy out" of the contract. There is also an OOS Scholars program that, if you get it, you do not have to adhere to the 5yr contract.

UPDATE: I just got accepted to OU-HCOM and had withdrawn my acceptance from KCU-COM. Now it's down to PCOM or OU-HCOM. Still making one of the hardest decisions of my life!

Reactions: 4 users
Did you apply to the DO/PhD program at PCOM??

I didn't, but I'm looking into it. Just thought doing research within a major public institution that is OU would be better. But then again, Philly has one of the biggest medical hubs. I'm also thinking about PCOM's DO/MBA program with SJU, which is a good school.

Just kidding. I'm headed to PCOM!