PCOM vs SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoktorS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody who is going to say "seriously?!?" can leave this thread now. I'm looking for some mature and well thought input on this situation.

I've been accepted to both PCOM and SGU and am having a hard time deciding between the two. Something I'm hoping somebody can explain to me is how exactly IMGs will be "squeezed out in the coming years" with this merger upon us. I keep seeing people say that IMGs will be squeezed out, but without explanation as to how. And realistically, will SGU be affected by this squeeze tremendously?

Some background/stats info:
-US Citizen
-29 MCAT
-3.64 cGPA 3.6 sGPA

What I'm looking for in the future:
-A good and educational residency program, not necessarily a "prestigious" one, but one that will challenge me and allow me to grow (will probably have a good shot at this going either route?)
-Opportunities to connect with the community
-Opportunities to make connections with faculty in competitive specialties that I may develop interest in.
-A sense of community at the school I go to.
-Respect even as a DO or an IMG.

I do admit that the unwarranted stigma against DOs has me feeling slightly unnerved about the idea of going DO vs MD. I'm worried that patients will think I just practice hokey pokey medicine, even though DO = MD training + OMM training. So really, if this worry is totally outdated

I've also looked at the match lists for SGU and my top DO schools and I recognize more of the programs on SGU's list. Does anybody see the match list at SGU dramatically declining in quality due to the squeeze?

Members don't see this ad.

I do admit that the unwarranted stigma against DOs has me feeling slightly unnerved about the idea of going DO vs MD. I'm worried that patients will think I just practice hokey pokey medicine, even though DO = MD training + OMM training. So really, if this worry is totally outdated

Most patients won't know the difference in title; the medicine is the same, the H&P is the same, the labs are the same.

People will respect you if you've earned it and are worth it. Seeking out respect is short-sighted.

Something I'm hoping somebody can explain to me is how exactly IMGs will be "squeezed out in the coming years" with this merger upon us. I keep seeing people say that IMGs will be squeezed out, but without explanation as to how. And realistically, will SGU be affected by this squeeze tremendously?

More med school seats-->more med students-->American med education certified/accredited rigorously vs. Caribbean/IMG standards subpar or unknown-->merge of match systems potentially allows for DO students to apply to and take up more slots in allo programs, which excludes Caribbean/IMG applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM by far...PCOM is a well established and respected school. SGU has a much more dubious reputation. There is a fairly significant risk of ending up in serious debt with nothing to show for it going Carribean. I would go PCOM and not look back.

Reactions: 1 user
SGU attrition/lack of support vs. PCOM wants you to do well should be enough of a reason for anybody

Every time this question comes up I'm tempted to just tell people to go ahead and go to the Caribbean because they'll have a chip on the shoulder for the rest of their life if they don't have MD next to their name. If you want to do what is better for your career, go to PCOM. If you want to nurse your insecurities, go to SGU. Those are your choices, choose wisely.

Reactions: 9 users
Seriously?

Reactions: 5 users
I've also looked at the match lists for SGU and my top DO schools and I recognize more of the programs on SGU's list. Does anybody see the match list at SGU dramatically declining in quality due to the squeeze?

:bang: Seriously?

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Why are ppl so lazy? There's a search function for a reason. This kind of question has been answered so many times.

Lol yes I think we are all well aware of the search button's function and have used it thoroughly. I presented my own thread to share my stats bc there are many students who have lower stats and are therefore at higher risk for the obstacles that face IMGs. Sorry that you felt the need to take the time out of your day to call people lazy.

Thanks everybody else though! This is what my feelings were leaning toward, but wasn't sure as to where others stood on this situation since I have so many friends who have gone SGU over DO. This has been really helpful!

I presented my own thread to share my stats bc there are many students who have lower stats and are therefore at higher risk for the obstacles that face IMGs.

I think it's fair to say that the difficulties for IMG are beyond the control of students who attend and succeed there. Predatory admissions processes aside, students who pass still have difficulty securing residency (as previously mentioned).

Your undergrad stats only suggest you could make it through the degree, not anything else....

The stigma associated with being a US IMG from the Caribbean is FAR worse than any stigma associated with being a DO (essentially nonexistent nowadays). PCOM is also a really good DO school. I don't understand why this choice isn't clear to you.

...explain to me is how exactly IMGs will be "squeezed out in the coming years"?

what do you mean "will be" squeezed out?

they already are squeezed out.

look at the results of the main NRMP match this year:

Seniors of US allopathic medical schools - 93.9% matched
Students/Graduates of Osteopathic Medical Schools - 79.3% matched
U.S. Citizen Students/Graduates of International Medical Schools - 53.1% matched
Non-U.S. Citizen Students/Graduates of International Medical Schools - 49.4% matched

Reactions: 1 users
And these numbers have been going down in recent years, and are expected to get even worse with the AOA/ACGME merger.

U.S. Citizen Students/Graduates of International Medical Schools - 53.1% matched
Non-U.S. Citizen Students/Graduates of International Medical Schools - 49.4% matched[/QUOTE]

Anybody who is going to say "seriously?!?" can leave this thread now. I'm looking for some mature and well thought input on this situation.

I've been accepted to both PCOM and SGU and am having a hard time deciding between the two. Something I'm hoping somebody can explain to me is how exactly IMGs will be "squeezed out in the coming years" with this merger upon us. I keep seeing people say that IMGs will be squeezed out, but without explanation as to how. And realistically, will SGU be affected by this squeeze tremendously?

Some background/stats info:
-US Citizen
-29 MCAT
-3.64 cGPA 3.6 sGPA

-A good and educational residency program, not necessarily a "prestigious" one, but one that will challenge me and allow me to grow (will probably have a good shot at this going either route?)
-Opportunities to connect with the community
-Opportunities to make connections with faculty in competitive specialties that I may develop interest in.
-A sense of community at the school I go to.

You'll have a solid shot a going to a "good" residency program in any field from PCOM.

At SGU you'll be lucky to get a low-tier FM/IM program.

This thread title was so ridiculous I clicked on it expecting to find a troll. Instead, I found a real person who is seriously debating an incredibly simple choice. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO TO PCOM. Just compare SGU's match rate to PCOM and then consider with the merger that SGU's will drop even more. That alone should be all the convincing you need.