PCOM waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ginkoba4

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about PCOM's waitlist? How big it is? Does it move a lot? Who's on it?

I'm on the waitlist and it's the only school I have a chance to go to now!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I think last year they went through the entire waitlist. Right before classes started, they accepted some people after flat out rejecting them! Just in case, you should maybe write a letter of intent and drop an email to Deb or something:)

Hey,

Im also on the alternate list at PCOM. I spoke to Deborah Erdner and she told me the same thing about everyone getting off the waitlist last year. Granted, I dont expect 100% acceptance off the WL this year, but Im still very hopeful.

When asked when we should expect to hear...she said "anytime between now and first day of class!" If anyone can give us some "inside" info on when the WL at PCOM begins to move, it'll be much appreciated..:)

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad :)
In reponse to the original question, there is no real true general opinion on which schools you should and shouldnt apply to. Each school has their faults and their prizes. I currently attend NSUCOM. If I had to make the choice again, I would be hesitant. HOWEVER, almost everyone at their medical school feels this way at some point. Go with what you feel will give you the best medical education. :)

In reponse to the original question, there is no real true general opinion on which schools you should and shouldnt apply to. Each school has their faults and their prizes. I currently attend NSUCOM. If I had to make the choice again, I would be hesitant. HOWEVER, almost everyone at their medical school feels this way at some point. Go with what you feel will give you the best medical education.

Hmmm...what was the original question again?? I thought this thread was about the waitlist at PCOM...:)

DOCTORSAIB

Any news people???

DOCTORSAIB

I emailed Tammi Wrice and she basically said, there is no movement now but next month, mid-June, they're going to convene and replace people who rejected PCOM. The list of course, is unranked, until that point! And usually they think about it like this, a female who rejected PCOM should be replaced by another female and so on, along lines of similar applicants. Hope that helps, I'm crossing my fingers! Of course, I also feel pathetic that I need to beg my way to med school :(

Hey Ginkoba4,

Thanks very much for the news!

monalisa

Any news??? Im going crazy with these waitlists. If anyone calls the admissions office or has new info, please post. Good luck to other people on the PCOM waitlist!

DOCTORSAIB

Just to let you all know, in case you already didn't, there are about 100 or so on the alternate list. I found this out yesterday through an email to admissions. Good luck to all of you!

Oh man, did you ask them if it's normally 100 people? That sounds like a lot, I was expecting 60 maximum. Oh well, good luck to everybody, may the most deserving get to attend!

Speaking of most deserving :D, would it be bad to tell them I am attending PCOM's Biomedical Sci post-bacc program next fall if I don't get in? Then they would be like, "Gee, this person's going to end up here anyway, they can wait a year." But then again, they might already know I'm going to their post-bacc program :(

This waiting is killing me. I keep hearing that 100% of the people on the WL have received acceptances. Im wondering how that can happen this year if there are around 100 people on the WL and its almost mid-July...:(

To make matters worse, Ive been trying to contact Deborah Erdner, but shes not returning my phone calls.. :mad:

Oh well, good luck to everyone on the WL. Never give up!

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad :)
DOCTORSAIB said:
This waiting is killing me. I keep hearing that 100% of the people on the WL have received acceptances. Im wondering how that can happen this year if there are around 100 people on the WL and its almost mid-July...:(

To make matters worse, Ive been trying to contact Deborah Erdner, but shes not returning my phone calls.. :mad:

Oh well, good luck to everyone on the WL. Never give up!
DOCTORSAIB

Previous years they have called people up until the third day of orientation to pull them off of the waitlist so you still have a full month window for waitlist movement. I would also switch your contact to Tammi Wrice instead of Deb since Deb resigned and will be leaving shortly.

where is Deb going and why is she leaving? I liked her!

UltimateDO,

Thanx for the inside info. This is a weird situation. If I now call Tammi Rice, I dont want Deb to think Im trying to supercede her authority by contacting someone else.

Perhaps one of the other waitlistees can contact the office and get the update on the WL. What do you guys think?

DOCTORSAIB

Any word yet?

DOCTORSAIB

Hi everyone,

I finally got through to Tammi Rice today. Basically, no spots have opened up as of today. She did mention that its possible that by the end of this week or next, lets say 5 spots could open up, at which point they would contact people from the WL. She said that based on previous years, its likely that spots will open up and that peope will get in off the WL. Her tone seemed optimistic and as of now, thats what Im going to bank on.

Ok, if anyone else hears something new/else, let us know. Take care and good luck!

DOCTORSAIB

hey doctorsaib, i was getting a little worried there, this waitlist is killing me, everytime i get a post from this forum in my email, i just freak out and think, "oh man, it's somebody who is going to tell me that they found out the waitlist will move slower than molasses, slower than a turtle, and definitely slower than grandma crossing the street", but we just have to put some faith into it and cross our fingers, right?

Hi guys! Thanks for the update! It's hard to believe that everyone got off the WL last year (or was it the year b4?) and they still havn't pulled anyone off the WL this year!! I mean it's already mid-July so I don't know what their game is???? By the way...does anyone know when orientation is and first day of class? My family is planning to take a vacation that month and they're thinking about mid-August, so I'm just not sure if I should take a chance to be away and risk missing their call (that is if I am fortunate enough to be pulled off the waitlist...haha).

Oh well...good luck everyone!!! I hope we all get an acceptance b4 August so that we can enjoy at least a week or two of "real" summer!!

monalisa

Wow!,

This thread has actually reached "page 2." Yeah, I just dont see how ~100 will get accepted off the WL if its already July 14th. My assumption is that the WL will move this year, but no where near as much as previous years.

Hey, maybe someone can call tomorrow or Friday to see if there has been any movement. What do you guys think? I would call again myself, but Ive been calling the admission office at least 3x day for the past 2 weeks :oops:. I dont want to come across as a pest.

Let me know what you guys think. Take care and keep the hope alive..:)

DOCTORSAIB

Monolisa,

PCOM starts, I believe, August 16th. Orientation is the week before, so if I were you, I wouldnt go too far and make sure you take your cell phone with you. From what I understand, if they call you for an acceptance at the last minute and you dont return their call within 24 hours, someone else gets the spot. Hope that helps. Take care!

DOCTORSAIB

Hey DOCTORSAIB,

Thanks for your advice and info. I've decided not to go away in mid-Aug.

Monalisa

DOCTORSAIB said:
Monolisa,

PCOM starts, I believe, August 16th. Orientation is the week before, so if I were you, I wouldnt go too far and make sure you take your cell phone with you. From what I understand, if they call you for an acceptance at the last minute and you dont return their call within 24 hours, someone else gets the spot. Hope that helps. Take care!

DOCTORSAIB

Hey everyone! I called admissions office today and I was told that Carol Fox would be in charge after Deb Erdner's resignation which is tomorrow. This is a little confusing b/c I thought Tammi Wrice would take over everything????!!! Well, they also told me a few people have been taken off the waitlist, and they'll meet again when they have a few more seats open (so there's no date set for the next meeting in deciding who to take off the waitlist).

monalisa

ok, well the osteopathic physician i work for called on my behalf today and she told me that Tammi Wrice said nobody has been taken off the waitlist yet, how can this be? Oh well, I just want in!

Yup! What a contradiction!! Maybe Tammi Wrice was afraid that if the doc finds out that is waitlist movement he/she might continue to bug her, so the safest thing to say would be "There is no waitlist movement!" Agree??

monalisa

BOOOOO, uh-oh, could I have ruined my chances of getting into PCOM medical school?

Hey--

did you guys hear anything yet? Just curious--

Today, I finally got back an email I sent a while ago to admissions and they said they started to take people off the waitlist and it's going to move more soon! Let's hope guys! Say "NO" to MCAT retakes, say "NO" to reapplying, and say "NO" to pessimism! muhahaha, actually, I am slacking off so badly now it's not even funny. And this weekend I'm attending a dork festival "OTAKON 2004".

Hey has anybody heard news from PCOM yet? I'm trying to study for MCATs (after taking a looooong break from studying :D), but I'm still hoping that they're taking people off the waitlist.

Hey Ginkoba,

I just got off the waitlist this morning! Got the call from Tammi Rice. Im soooooo expected! My friend got off the list yesterday, so theres definetly movement. Dont give up yet. Perhaps some people wont show up for orientation on Monday and you'll get called with an acceptance. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

DOCTORSAIB

Just wanted to let you guys know I got a call from Tammi Rice today as well, but since I've already completed a week of classes at LECOM I did not take the spot. Hopefully one of you will be fortunate to get my spot. Best of luck to you folks, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

elonDO

I still think that accepting people at 3 PM on friday when orientation is on monday is very risky and it shouldn't have to come down to this. I am on the waitlist in NYCOM and feel that in some way adcoms should make sure to solve all the problems and fill all of the spots at least 1 week before orientation. I mean, it is just not fair to the accepted student. Yes, that student is excited as hell, but has less than 3 days to solve everything with financial aid and immunizations/ physical and it really doesn't leave time to find an apartment and/or move all of your stuff. Medical school is serious stuff (as if I had to mention this) and so when one enters it, he/she has to get their mind set and be in the right set of mind to start learning again. This student should have to worry about financial aid or finding an apartment. I don't know, maybe all of this is a frustrated vent by yet another waitlister desperately waiting for a call of an empty spot available. I just think that being that medical schools want to insure that their students will be successful, they should do all they can to make sure that once it is close to starting school, all of the incoming students don't have to worry about anything other than the start of their first year of med school. Heck, maybe they're doing everything they can and these kind of situations still occur every year. Well, either way, good luck to all on any waitlist out there. :luck:

OH MAN, DR. SAIB, I just got in, this is so surreal, I must be the last person to get in (pre-orientation anyhow). Hey, if you want to share some info with me, could you please PM me? I'm so nervous now, what the hell are we supposed to wear on Monday?????? What am I supposed to bring?

congratulations ginko!! next saturday looks free for you now doesn't it? are you busy burning your mcat materials?

Hey Ginkoba4 and Doctorsaib--

Hey congratulations! That is such good news-- go out and celebrate!

Ginkoba4--I can't believe that you don't have to take that horrid test...begin the mcat bonfire ;)

see you guys Monday!

E

Congrats to all those who got off the waitlist. You'll love medical school. Good luck!