PCSOM admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcratamt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
eadysx,
Congrats on your acceptance. I hope there are still a few spots left cause i have an interview on 3/20/04. I am excited to go down and check out Pikevegas as you say. I did my undergrad in Maine and we used to refer to L.A. except this L.A. stood for Lewiston and Auburn, two small towns in Maine. haha. Anyway I am a Yankee from CT but I am no big city person so I hope the atmosphere will be fine with me. Thanks for all the input Aaron and if anyone else wants to boast about how awesome PCSOM is then write to my grudge match post UNE vs. PCSOM. Talk to y'all later.
dcratamt

Members don't see this ad.

dcratamt,

I am sure that there are several spots still available at PCSOM. Dont worry about that. PCSOM interviews people that they are interested in. So you have that going for you. I truly think that you will like PCSOM. Let me know if I can help you any more.

Aaron

dcratamt,

To add to what Aaron said about PCSOM only interviewing people that they are interested in, I just wanted to say that the day we interviewed, a member of the admissions committee spoke to us about how many applications they receive each year. He said that in order for us to be selected for an interview, they have seen something on our application that makes them feel like we would be a great addition to PCSOM, and he said that after receiving an interview, then your chances of being accepted are pretty good. The interview is all about getting to know who you really are. You can PM me with any questions you have about PCSOM or the interview if you would like!

Misty

Members don't see this ad :)
dcratamt,

Good luck on your interview. I just interviewed at PCSOM on Saturday (found out yesterday I was accepted). From what I heard, they have only now started doing more than one interview weekend per month, so there are probably a good number of spots still available.

For those already at PCSOM, the hubby and I are looking at the financial situation and trying to make some decisions about where to send me to school. I cannot find anything on the website to really tell me what I need to know. Does tuition go up during years 3 and 4? Does the financial aid office have a budget available for us to use in trying to decide about loans?

I have some reservations about the school--and I'm from Pikeville, maybe that's the problem. It would sure help to clear things up if I could at least get a good comparison of the numbers.

Thanks for any input you can give me. Feel free to PM me if you would rather take this discussion off the board.

Willow

WillowRose,

Congratulations on getting accepted!!!!

Tuition is currently 26,000, but I have heard that it will be 27,000 for next year. Tuition is the same in years three and four. You should be recieving a financial aid packet from PCSOM within a week or so. Basically, you get a laptop, all textbooks, scrubs, labcoat, OMM table, dissection tools, and an ear scope (cant think of the technical term for it), and i believe a stethoscope included in tuition. Plus, they pay for you to take the COMLEX step one and two (once each) and professional memberships.

It is a pretty sweet deal. I hope that this helps you. Please PM me with any more questions or comments. Once again, congratulations!

Aaron

Willowrose,

What other schools accepted you? PCSOM has alot of positives but like every school there are negatives. If you could be a little more specific about reservations, I could certainly address them. I had other offers but chose PCSOM and I don't regret it at all.

Pike

Willow,

I believe that tuition is set at 26,000 for PCSOM right now. Some of the current students have said that it might increase about a 1,000 each year. If you want to go into primary care, then there are two scholarships/ loans that will basically cut this figure in half. So, you would be able to attend medical school for about 13,000 each year. Also, you are from Pikeville, so you know that housing can be relatively inexpensive there. Just a few things to consider.

dcratamt,

I don't know that much about UNE. The only thing that I do know is that they will reject you if you get anything less than a "M" on your writing sample for the MCAT. I personally don't agree with this but, then again I only got an "L" on my writing sample. So, I could be a little biased.

My advice is come and see if Pikeville is really a school that you would be happy with attending. Everyone can tell you there opinions and offer advice to you. But, when everything is said and done, we don't have to "walk in your shoes". (This holds true for this response too:D )

i believe i will be giving up my seat for the 2008 class at PCOM...so there's another spot. i really enjoyed the people there and this isn't a reflection of the way i felt about the school. good luck to you all

Hey,

I'm interviewing on March the 20th as well! Now that I've read some of the statements here, I feel very good about my chances of being accepted.

BTW, Aaron. The technical name for an ear scope is an otoscope.

BTW, Aaron. The technical name for an ear scope is an otoscope.

skb21,

HAHAHA.... Yeah, I thought of it after I posted. But thanks for the heads up. I am very forgetful at times. hahahaha

Good luck on your interview. Just be yourself and you will be fine.

Aaron

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hmmm i have been asked for an interview on 3/20th as well. i already put a deposit down for lecom bradenton campus. i'm from florida. but now i'm unsure since lecom bradenton will have only provisional accreditation until a graduating class (similar to edward via virginia - which i'm also on a waiting list for). so now i'm trying to think what to do. spend more money on another interview? uhg...decisions...any help from you guys?

hey erica,

im also from FL.....go visit PCOM. i thought about the bradenton campus thing, but they're not accredited, and even if so......PCOM has a much stronger reputation. people in pennsylavania know what DOs are....it will be a great transition into medicine. Even though i won't be attending PCOM, I was very impressed with the school when i visited and would recommend it to anyone.

Originally posted by MEDicated
hey erica,

im also from FL.....go visit PCOM. i thought about the bradenton campus thing, but they're not accredited, and even if so......PCOM has a much stronger reputation. people in pennsylavania know what DOs are....it will be a great transition into medicine. Even though i won't be attending PCOM, I was very impressed with the school when i visited and would recommend it to anyone.

MEDicated,

I think that erica has an interview at PCSOM in Pikeville. Please tell me if I am wrong erica. I just PM you with a response.

thanks

Aaron

oops....thanks aaron eagles....my bad. everything i said was in reference to PCOM and not PCSOM.....i got them confused.