PD Leaving Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbandonedFellow

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been a member here for a while, but made a different account to maintain some anonymity. I couldn't find anything related to this in the search either.

I'm at a loss at the moment because I just feel completely screwed. I found out this morning that my PD is leaving my fellowship program. It's not out in the open yet (I'm not supposed to know at this point), so I'm not really able to talk to anyone about it. This person has really been one of my main social supports in a city where I'm almost all alone. He/she has also been huge for career development and is the PI on all of my research. I'm not finished until June 2020, so it's not a matter of just finishing up current projects either.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do without him/her. I was already unhappy here, but this person at least made it doable. The remainder of the faculty are just not supportive in the same (or for many any) way. Definitely no career advice and they like to talk a big game with research, but never help out or give good feedback. The one person who will potentially be PD is always b*tchy and the other is in a leadership position in our department and is often not available. Both like to ***** out the fellows, which the current PD would fight against. I'm sitting here bawling like an idiot because I just don't know how I'm going to be able to go on here. Especially with all the turmoil that turnover will bring. If anyone has had to go through major program changes like this, your input would be appreciated.

Just because the PD is leaving doesn't mean they can't continue to be a mentor, albeit remotely.

He/she has also been huge for career development and is the PI on all of my research. I'm not finished until June 2020, so it's not a matter of just finishing up current projects either.

Are you dependent on the outgoing PD for research funding? If so, can the money stay at the institution?