PD to leave Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainMaster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those individuals applying to Mt Sinai, I'm sure you all well aware by now that Dr Stein is leaving his post as PD to LIJ as chairman. Congrats to him!!! What does this do to the program? He is certainly one of the strong points at Sinai, with Dr Flanagan leaving for NYU, and now Dr Stein, this program is very shaky. Can some senior members shed light on this situation? Im sure this happens quite often. The ROL is due in less than three weeks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey , I don't know much about the Mt. Sinai program
internally, but from an outsider's perspective, I
assume that Mt. Sinai is a strong program not because
of one or two people. I don't think Dr. Stein and
Dr. Flanagan are leaving because they're fleeing the
program. Rather, I assume they are being courted
by other programs because Sinai (we're talking NYC
here, not the Maryland program) is strong top to
bottom and it has a good reputation.

My best guess is that Sinai will remain strong even
after Stein and Flanagan leave. I would not let it
affect your rank-order list. If you like the place,
rank it high. I'm sure quality people will rise up to
replace those two people.

As a personal plug to my own program, NYU is
very excited about Dr. Flanagan taking over as the
chair of our department. The buzz is that, as an
outsider (because he owes no loyalty to anyone
inside the department), he will clean out the cobwebs
and dust up the place. Certainly our TBI program
stands to gain a lot. NYU is going to benefit a lot
from the arrival of our new chairman.

For those individuals applying to Mt Sinai, I'm sure you all well aware by now that Dr Stein is leaving his post as PD to LIJ as chairman. Congrats to him!!! What does this do to the program? He is certainly one of the strong points at Sinai, with Dr Flanagan leaving for NYU, and now Dr Stein, this program is very shaky. Can some senior members shed light on this situation? Im sure this happens quite often. The ROL is due in less than three weeks!!!!!
I really do not think that Dr. Stein leaving Mt. Sinai will leave that program shaky. It seems that he has left Mt. Sinai on very strong footing. Their SCI program will take a little hit. On the other hand, this is an opportunity of a lifetime for Dr. Stein to make LIJ a strong program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really do not think that Dr. Stein leaving Mt. Sinai will leave that program shaky. It seems that he has left Mt. Sinai on very strong footing. Their SCI program will take a little hit. On the other hand, this is an opportunity of a lifetime for Dr. Stein to make LIJ a strong program.
Is anyone else struck by the inability of LIJ to retain Chairmen for any length of time? I belive this will be at least the 4th Chair during the same period Dr. Weiss has been at NUMC, for instance.

Is anyone else struck by the inability of LIJ to retain Chairmen for any length of time? I belive this will be at least the 4th Chair during the same period Dr. Weiss has been at NUMC, for instance.
I think it has a lot to do with LIJ being under the Neurology dept. It always seem to be a constant struggle between the PM&R chairman and the neuro dept. The continual change of chairmen is extremely concerning for the hospital system.

I am one of the Mount Sinai residents and in response to the first post, Mount Sinai is not on shaky ground. Dr. Flanagan and Dr. Stein are both leaving to be chairs at other good hospitals. They were actively recruited by these hospitals because of their great reputations and the fact that both are renowned in their area of expertise.
While we are sad to lose 2 great people, this will have little effect on the residency program overall. Dr. Stein has built a strong residency program which will continue to flourish in his absence. Our chairman, who is also world renowned, is committed to finding an excellent replacement. Meanwhile, Dr. Herrera, a well liked attending, was recently named associate residency director and will assist with the transition.
While Dr. Stein is an excellent program director and teacher, he is only one small part of what this program has to offer. Dr. Weissman, Dr. Bressler, at Elmhurst are all excellent teachers and make you want to learn. Dr. Herrera and Dr. Sheth in faculty practice are great to work with and give all the residents a strong basis in MSK and Interventional Spine.
Dr. Greenwald is renowned in TBI. He is extremely funny and the residents love to work with him. Dr. Rim, among others at the VA is amazing. The list goes on and on. And, if you add to that the interventional sports and spine fellowship w/ Dr. Herrera with whom all Sinai residents spend 8 weeks , the pain management fellowship at Mount Sinai which usually takes a PM&R resident, almost 4 months of elective and the many renowned graduates of the program including Dr. Gotlin and Dr. Kirshblum, the program continues to be as solid as ever.