PD vs Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GynoDino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's more important to a resident, the program director or the department chair? If you had two decent programs, one with a mediocre PD and an excellent chair and another program with the opposite, which would be a better choice for a new resident? (This is not a theoretical question...I'm facing this dilemma)

I'm guessing that the strength of a chair is apparent later in the program, when you try to move up and out, and that a strong PD would help as you make your way around as a newbie intern. Do PD's really make things better or worse for residents? I wonder to what degree fellowships consider the reputation of the chair in evaluating recommendations?

Thanks for any input anyone can add.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you... and excellent PD who is really in tune to resident needs, concerns, and is responsive to their input will shape your experience there as a resident. A nationally known chair (especially if in your subspecialty of interest) will probably help you with the quest for a fellowship.

I have been to some programs where the chair is really involved and almost acts as a second PD... this seems like a bonus as the chair is more likely to get to know you personally. The famous chair that you never really meet during your training but has the best academic reputation would be less desirable to me than the PD who is 110% committed to making the residency program the best it can be.

Like everything else in this process, there are pluses and minuses with each choice..... good luck :luck: