PDA Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*Wing of Zock*

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whassup Docs!!!

I'm chucking out my Tarrascon for a PDA and If you all have any advice on which one you prefer I'd love to hear it. Anything I should look for in particular? Also what kind of software are you using? (and no, V-Tach, I don't mean Tetris or the classic Palma Sutra) Like pharmacopeias, 5 min ER consult, or whatever.

Later,
Wingman

Members don't see this ad.

*Wing of Zock* said:
whassup Docs!!!

I'm chucking out my Tarrascon for a PDA and If you all have any advice on which one you prefer I'd love to hear it. Anything I should look for in particular? Also what kind of software are you using? (and no, V-Tach, I don't mean Tetris or the classic Palma Sutra) Like pharmacopeias, 5 min ER consult, or whatever.

Later,
Wingman

Have a palm T1 (no longer avail). I use epocrates, and a suite from Handheldmed.com including 5 min EM Consult, PDR, Merck, Tabers, A-Z drug facts, and Harrison's.

Love it!

- H

I have both a Palm Tungsten T2 and an hp iPAQ 5555. I like the iPAQ better. It's based on the Pocket PC platform and has built-in Bluetooth and 802.11b wireless LAN. (FYI, the Tungsten also has built-in Bluetooth.)

I have ePocrates Pro ($50/yr subscription, comes with the infectious disease thingie), 5 min EM consult, Stedman's, MedCalc 3000 (the most extensive medical calculator available in my opinion), and I can't even remember what else I have on it.

Benefits to Palm: more free software, easier to use.

Benefits to Pocket PC: integration with MS Outlook (you can do this with a Palm, just a little cumbersome), more powerful, bigger screens, built-in WLAN (not all models of course)

One of the biggest advantages of a Pocket PC: You can install UpToDate on a Pocket PC, but not on a Palm. It's expensive. The software is free if you subscribe to UpToDate, but you have to buy a 1 gigabyte memory card (around $250-350, depending on what type fits your system).

Go to a place like Best Buy and take a peek at the various models and buy the one you like the most. More importantly, buy one that your hospital supports. They may want you to use a certain brand if you plan to access computer systems wirelessly. When you go to buy, check out pricewatch.com for the best prices. Just be careful from whom you buy. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently have the Tungesten T3. It has a tremendous amount of internal memory- 64m + expansion slot, and an incredibly fast processor 400 MHz (My first computer was 33MHz). It has a beautiful sliding screen with virtual silkscreen and supports landscape mode (can be useful--- no really). It also has bluetooth, though I haven't used it much (I'd rather have Wi-Fi, but the Tungesten C is ugly and I don't see the need for a keyboard. The Palm OS is incredibly robust, it takes some real effort to crash a Palm, and there are thousands of programs for the PalmOS. And with PalmOS 5 MSOutlook integration is a breeze.

I agree with southerdoc.... go somewhere and put your hands on the various models, try them out. I got my T3 from Dell... they had a deal with 20% off and no shipping, you may be able to qualify for a student/faculty/staff purchase as well. In general PalmOS devices are less expensive (not cheaper) than PocketPCs.

As far as the software that I currently I have: PEPID -- similar to 5MCC (check it out at www.PEPID.com). ePocrates Pro (I got a free subscription from Pfizer, ask around), and Medical Toolbox, from www.medicalwizards.com. I also have Hold'em Poker (www.standalone.com) and AvantGo.

Good luck. PM me with specific questions.

I own the Sony Clie NZ-90. It's larger than most PDA's, but includes a 2 megapixel camera, video recorder, voice recorder, and MP3 player. I can record movies from the TV and watch them on my haldheld - pretty cool feature.

I use PEPID, which pretty much has everything I need in the ED. Rumor has it that Sony is coming out with a newer, smaller PDA that has all of the same features, plus a built-in phone. That will probably be my next purchase when I start up in June...

How about the Tungsten E? Any thoughts on this one?

bla_3x said:

I have Tungsten E. around $200 and I have a bunch of free software:
5 minute clinical consult, epocrates, Dr drugs, hopkins antibiotic guide, med calc

When I start rotations in June I play on purchasing the new EpocratesPro which has 5 minute clinical consult built in. It's expensive ($180/2 year) but the updates are worth it. :clap:

bla_3x said:

It's what I have, with a 256 MB memory card (around $40).

Free Medical software: Epocrates; ABx from Johns-Hopkins, Medcalc, a few others picked up here and there, including procedures tracker.

Pricey Medical software: Steadmans, Bates PhysEx, Ferri, 5minCC, 5min EC, Harrisons (gift, didn't buy it), a few others.

Advantages: Good battery life, lots of room for everything with the memory card (medical stuff, flying stuff, boating stuff (including celestial navigation programs), Search and Rescue stuff, lots of other stuff and 200MB of room left), decent screen, can listen to MP3's (if I wanted), wireless capable (if I wanted), etc. Also, if it gets broken/lost/stolen it's only around $250 or so to replace it instantly. Comes with programs to view Word/Excel/whatever files, PDFs, syncs to my mail (not that abortion from microsoft, but it will do that too). Also keep pics of sweetie on it. :clap:

Disadvantages: Not as cool as some others, can't find a case I like. Screen is a little small, and not as uber-cool as the Tungsten W or whatever that goes into landscape.

Summary: I can afford any PDA available. If I had to replace mine today, I'd still replace it with the Tungsten-E.

YMMV

FYI, the free software that flighterdoc mentioned is free for both Palm and Pocket PC users. ePocrates has a professional version that is about $50/year for both Palm and Pocket PC.

There is a discussion about Palm v. Pocket PC in the latest issue of EM Resident (EMRA's newsletter). Check it out.

I have a Zire 71 which I love! Not expensive, color, takes pics (which is way cool in the ED when you get a good patient or xray), 16Mb memory with expansion capability, and light. Also, not very expensive these days. Just my 0.02... :D

I used a Palm m500 for a long time, then switched to a PocketPC when Dell first came out with their critters. I really liked the Dell right up until I had to start wearing it with scrubs (I can barely keep the damn things on my fat butt as it is). I found my Dell spending more and more time at home because it was too big.

Last weekend, I finally dusted off my old Palm and it almost never leaves my pocket now (it fits nicely in scrub pockets).

I'm using the pro version of ePocrates with the 5MCC built in. I've also loaded their freebies under the tool section: cholesterol, HTN, ACS risk factors, etc.

There was a pretty good article in the latest AAEM newsletter discussing the top 10 free programs available for Palm. I now have them all (except the Hopkins thing, it crashed my palm years ago and I still haven't forgiven it).

Take care,
Jeff