PDA for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How useful are PDAs for Med School? Outside of the obvious benefits of being able to have a contact list and schedule on the PDA, are there any PDA capabilities that a normal med student must have?

Members don't see this ad.

BlondeCookie said:
How useful are PDAs for Med School? Outside of the obvious benefits of being able to have a contact list and schedule on the PDA, are there any PDA capabilities that a normal med student must have?
Not until 3rd year, if at all, no.

Don't bother getting one until 3rd year. You'll waste your money if you get one now unless you want a really expensive planner and address book.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i agree
the way tech changes and the fact being you will not really use it for contacts - you have a cell phone addy book - and ur schedule isnt complicated enough or longer than the back of ur hand writing space ...mean you dont really need one...unless you have extrodinarily small hands.

Also i feel it my duty to tell my classmated makic markers rub off easily - often before lunch. if you write on your hands do so with a firm even pressure from a ball point pen - NOT INK PEN which will bleed ink.

Wait them out if you can!!!!
My school (rather a evil few) decided that it should be mandatory to have PDA. It was a awful mess. Everything from the type they "demanded" we get to when they wanted us to get them (before finanial aid kicked in). Too make a very long story short i had one my whole second year and other than the dumb things they made up for us to do on our PDA(class surveys and), i didnt use it much. It was only helpful if i had to watch lectures online and didnt have a computer.

Everyone else has told me they are a must during clinical rotations at most schools.

BlondeCookie said:

why are they a must on rotations?

My brother has one that he's not using. I kind of want to use it just so I'm familiar with the technology (It's also windows CE based) so I don't have to deal with the learning curve 3rd year. What do PDA's do besides hold people's phone numbers/addresses and help me schedule my pooping? I see why you guys don't recommend them until 3rd year.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
Also i feel it my duty to tell my classmated makic markers rub off easily - often before lunch. if you write on your hands do so with a firm even pressure from a ball point pen - NOT INK PEN which will bleed ink.
:laugh:

synapse said:
For clinical access instead of carrying reference books. There are many programs that help with drugs, drug calcs, diseases, etc. Its easy access on the floors.

synapse said:
well, for the hospital i'm at, there's wireless internet connection, and we can access patient lab data via the network. plus its convienient to carry all the info like pharmacopia in electronic form instead of getting lots of little lab pocket books (most ppl subscribe to ehypocrates, a software program with ddx and pharm info)

mshheaddoc said:
For clinical access instead of carrying reference books. There are many programs that help with drugs, drug calcs, diseases, etc. Its easy access on the floors.

Yeah...they still don't hold a candle to Index Medicus. Who needs a fancy calculator when you got access to centuries worth of medical knowledge at your fingertips.