Technology PDA for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prncvegita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be starting med school next year and was thinking about getting a PDA and a fold-out keyboard for note-taking purposes during lecture. I figure if I'm furiously typing there's less of a chance I'll be falling asleep.. I'd get a laptop but the only thing I'd be able to afford would probably be more bulk and less bang.
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to PDAs and was wondering if people had any recommendations as to a cost-effective (say under $300) PDA/fold-out keyboard combo? Extra functions are nice, but the only thing I'm really interested in doing with it is typing notes and perhaps organizing my life. I've already got a cell phone, mp3 player, so all of that would be extraneous. On the forums it also seems like a lot of residencies require the PDAs.. I'm doubting that anything I get now will still be considered current by the time I'm going to residency, but the option to, four years down the line, use whatever PDA I get now would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

prncvegita said:
I'm going to be starting med school next year and was thinking about getting a PDA and a fold-out keyboard for note-taking purposes during lecture...I'm a complete newbie when it comes to PDAs and was wondering if people had any recommendations as to a cost-effective (say under $300) PDA/fold-out keyboard combo?

I'd recommend a Palm Tungsten E2 and Palm Wireless Keyboard

feature_univ-keyboard.jpg

completely agree with the above suggestion, BUT if your school has wifi and you plan on using it A LOT, then I'd get the T/X (wifi built in as opposed to add on card for an extra $100 which brings the E2 to the same price as the T/X). Don't plan on using wifi - E2 for you!

I have a Tungsten E and use the above keyboard for the exact same purpose as you plan on and am very happy with it. I download the powerpoints from our profs and type directly into them during class and can review anywhere!

T/X has more internal memory as well (128mb vs. 32mb)

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the iPaq 4155 and bought a Targus Stowaway keyboard for it; I think nowadays, you should be able to get both for under $300. I love mine, but don't think I'll use it as I hope to get a tablet pc... if you want to buy it from me, PM me.

If you have Sprint or Verizon cell phone get a PPC 6700 a PDA with built in Keyboard wifi and a cell phone too!

+ camera and speaker + BT etc ofcourse

hmm.
I haven't seen anyone type notes to their palm during class. However, I'm a 4th year now and we didn't use laptops and palms as much as some of the younger classes. Also, if someone was typing next to me with a glowing screen I think it would be sort of distracting for class.

You should check to see if your school has a notetaking service and if they give you the notes from previous years (Mine did). In that case the best thing you can do is read the previous year's note the night before and follow along in class.

Just trying to save you from wasting money on tech you don't need. I bought a palm before medical school and found it somewhat worthless for the first two years. The whole class is on the same schedule so you really don't need a palm to remember the test dates.

I have been looking for a decent used or inexpensive PDA because my school requires them for logging patient encounters. New PDA's are given in the 2nd year but I'm on my own for finding one by August to get me through M1. I was looking at he Dell Axiam? I think that's what it is called. I think it was $300 and I found some cheaper on Craigslist and EBay. If anyone has experience with Dell let me know. Or if someone has one they are selling that is in great condition PM me.