Technology PDA or Smartphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfavred

I am a girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to start medical school this year and I am wondering which one should I get a pda or a smartphone. I don't know which one will be more beneficial in terms of memory and function. I really need some advice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you may not get much use out of a PDA first and second year unless you use it heavily for it's calendar, to do list, quick web search (if wifi/web enabled), maybe dictionary. by the time 3rd year rolls around you'll prolly want a new one. i used mine a lot to take notes in class, study my powerpoints when away from my pc, keep track of my grades and exam dates, quiz myself with flash card type programs (supermemo).

so based on this I'd say go with a smartphone so that you can mess around with that for a while and learn how the thing works and when your contract is up you can renew for a new smartphone (at a discount) or decide to go with a PDA at that time.

go to a store and play with a bunch to find which you like and go from there (also SEARCH this forum for more recommendations)

-J

im checking out this phone..thinking of getting a smart phone since im also thinking about pdas... are there any other models of smart phones that you guys are using?

what about the treo 750 with regards to medical software stuff.. i'm new to this sort of technology lol.. will the phone be able to load the software i need as a medical student/doctor?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the treo 750 and love it. It is a PDA and phone. Only downside is that the phone speaker is a bit ahrd to hear, but I am used to it now, and on speaker it is fine.

I have epocrates, stedmans dictionary, med calc, pregnancy calc, immunization schedules, etc etc on there. No problem getting all the med software. Plus it has the standard calendar, memo, to do list, alarm clock, etc.

It takes pictures, has a video player and has web access, so I am happy.
I suggest getitng a sizeable SD card for it and looking into providers for the phone/internet part. Some are much more $$ for internet and messaging.

If you have more specific questions and don't get them answered through search, feel free to PM me. also check out mytreo.net

thanks!

i was also checking out other models..like there's the HTC 3600, or TyTN.. or Cingular 8525.. i guess it just boils down to budget etc..
i heard some people complaining about the windows mobile platform..apparently it crashes a lot on their pdas. has anyone had similar trouble?

by the way, i'm in europe,. ... but i have family in canada so i can probably get one from their cheaper..everything is cheaper in canada and the states! .. thing is..it's been hard finding them unlocked. and for eg, bestbuy dont exactly have HTC pda phones..

i guess i'll just keep looking. thanks again.

it's around £408.95 (inc. VAT) british pounds btw..