Pdr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkwyler94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a conversation about resources for the Palm OS a few days ago. I mentioned that there was epocrates which was free. She asked about the PDR free software. When I responded that I didn't care for the PDR as the information often seemed to be biased as it is the directly from the drug companies, she got offended. "I have been a nurse longer than you have been alive and the PDR has been the standard that entire time."

A little suprised she took offense, but regardless....

What is your opinion of the PDR. Do you consider it biased/unbiased. Do you prefer epocrates/pharmacopia, or another commerical drug guide?

Members don't see this ad.

The PDR is crap. It isn't a drug guide, it is a legal document. The drug companies print every conceivable complication, all million of them for each drug. Then their obligation to warn is discharged, and some malpractice attorney can stand in court and say "Now Dr. dkwyler94, why didn't you warn Ms. Jones that sudden death is a known complication of drug X", as shown here on page 2357 of the Physician's Desk Reference."

Are you asking about the PDR reference book or the Mobile PDR software for the Palm and Pocket PC? The latter is a decent software package that has pretty much the same information as the basic ePocrates software. It's free to medical students, residents, and physicians.

In addition, I believe that, unlike ePocrates, the PDR software does not collect statistics about you that it uses for drug marketing. The free version of ePocrates used to do this, and I'm assuming that it still does.