PDs, please send IV wisely!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we all see that some people can get 20 IVs from all over the places, while some people just have single or 0 iv till now. For those not top programs, PDs please do not simply invite the top applicants in your pool for interview. These days most brilliant applicants are applying for nearly 30 or more programs and they each can only take one spot. They can go to 10 - 15 interviews. That is just a waste of resource and you miss the chance to interview many applicants with just so-so scores but have great potential to become an excellent pathologist!

Members don't see this ad.

How do those PDs know that their program is not the excellent applicant's first choice? And why would an applicant apply, get an interview, and then go to the interview if they weren't at least seriously considering the program?

You can always turn down interviews. Many people do. Then they fill the spots with other people. Program directors are not mind readers, they are just trying to get the best candidates.

As we all see that some people can get 20 IVs from all over the places, while some people just have single or 0 iv till now. For those not top programs, PDs please do not simply invite the top applicants in your pool for interview. These days most brilliant applicants are applying for nearly 30 or more programs and they each can only take one spot. They can go to 10 - 15 interviews. That is just a waste of resource and you miss the chance to interview many applicants with just so-so scores but have great potential to become an excellent pathologist!

I don't see a problem with people attending multiple interviews of locations that they are sincerely interested in. Conversely, the residency programs give roughly 10 interviews per seat, so there is a chance a student could be the 10th invite for each attend many interviews and not match.

Members don't see this ad :)

Until we invent a better way of separating good from bad, only how you look on paper matters. If you suck on paper, you suck. No matter how much potential you say you have. No matter how much effort you say you are going to put. It's that simple.

I have been on both sides of the equation, and the bottom line is why would I call for an Interview someone with 186 in their USMLE and low tier in their class? How am I going to weed you out from the other 150 applicants with your same scores and grades?

Yes, you say you have potential but your time to shine passed. It was those 4 years in med school. Why didn't you put more effort in med school? Med school is not that hard. Did you have a string of really bad things happen to you?(bad accident the day of your finals, etc) Put that in your PS. If it is not your fault make sure they know. Othewise don't complaint of something that is your fault. Don't expect that the normal venues for weeding out the not so hard working people work on your favor.

Yes, you say you have potential but your time to shine passed. It was those 4 years in med school. Why didn’t you put more effort in med school? Med school is not that hard. Did you have a string of really bad things happen to you?(bad accident the day of your finals, etc) Put that in your PS. If it is not your fault make sure they know. Othewise don’t complaint of something that is your fault. Don’t expect that the normal venues for weeding out the not so hard working people work on your favor.

I did have a really bad thing happen to me that drastically affected my grades. I put that in my PS. Still not a damn sniff of an interview.

I wish you good luck in getting some interviews. However, I find your post distressing in that it almost comes across as begging.

Until we invent a better way of separating good from bad, only how you look on paper matters. If you suck on paper, you suck. No matter how much potential you say you have. No matter how much effort you say you are going to put. It’s that simple.

I have been on both sides of the equation, and the bottom line is why would I call for an Interview someone with 186 in their USMLE and low tier in their class? How am I going to weed you out from the other 150 applicants with your same scores and grades?

Yes, you say you have potential but your time to shine passed. It was those 4 years in med school. Why didn’t you put more effort in med school? Med school is not that hard. Did you have a string of really bad things happen to you?(bad accident the day of your finals, etc) Put that in your PS. If it is not your fault make sure they know. Othewise don’t complaint of something that is your fault. Don’t expect that the normal venues for weeding out the not so hard working people work on your favor.

a little brutal, but ultimately right. praise

I don't see a problem with people attending multiple interviews of locations that they are sincerely interested in. Conversely, the residency programs give roughly 10 interviews per seat, so there is a chance a student could be the 10th invite for each attend many interviews and not match.

Ok this just made me start to hyperventilate! :eek:

[B said:
cjakrun[/b]]I don't see a problem with people attending multiple interviews of locations that they are sincerely interested in. Conversely, the residency programs give roughly 10 interviews per seat, so there is a chance a student could be the 10th invite for each attend many interviews and not match.
Ok this just made me start to hyperventilate! :eek:

Except there are more pathology spots than US grads going into pathology. (maybe it is close to 1 to 1, but it isn't derm)

And seeing as the top ranked people may interview at many programs, but only they can only be accepted to one... that takes them off any other programs they interviewed at potential matches.

Last edited:
Except there are more pathology spots than US grads going into pathology. (maybe it is close to 1 to 1, but it isn't derm)

And seeing as the top ranked people may interview at many programs, but only they can only be excepted to one... that takes them off any other programs they interviewed at potential matches.

in the interest of your future communications, you need to know that "accepted" is very very very different than "excepted" . . . i don't even think "excepted" is a word, but it will be understood quite differently from "accepted" . . . FYI

no offense intended

And seeing as the top ranked people may interview at many programs, but only they can only be excepted to one... that takes them off any other programs they interviewed at potential matches.

True but based on 2007 data I wouldn't feel safe ranking less than four programs. There was one AMG that had a step score greater than 250 that did not match - who probably ranked one program and may or may not have been a member of the grammar police :eek: just kidding.
Independent applicants have it harder but they seem to have some diminished return on attending too many interviews.

True but based on 2007 data I wouldn't feel safe ranking less than four programs. There was one AMG that had a step score greater than 250 that did not match - who probably ranked one program and may or may not have been a member of the grammar police :eek: just kidding.
Independent applicants have it harder but they seem to have some diminished return on attending too many interviews.

I would never say that interview at or ranking a small number programs is a good idea..

I would say that one should interview at multiple programs, and rank all programs unless you would really rather scramble/not have a spot in a program at all than go there..

And Arctic Char, it is a word (else my spell checker would have caught it), but yes I used the wrong one.. The dangers of typing while distracted...

I did have a really bad thing happen to me that drastically affected my grades. I put that in my PS. Still not a damn sniff of an interview.

Then it's time to be proactive. Pickup the phone, ask around. Don't wait until they call you.

I still think there is plenty of time remaining to be invited to interviews based on anecdotal evidence from current residents who received offers throughout November and early December of their senior years. I also know of a few people who have received verbal offers from programs where they have rotated and have not received formal interviews. Some programs are still in the early stages of sorting out their pile of applicants. Some programs won't touch your application until they have everything including your dean's letter, board score, and letters of recommendation. Many schools have not yet submitted their dean's letters.

There are some programs that seem to be cranking interviews out, however. Got an offer last week from a place that is now booked until February! They interview a hefty number of applicants, so I am not surprised that they got an early start and filled up fast. I just hope I'm not scheduling the rest of my interviews for the week before rank order lists are due! :)

To the OP, I sense your frustration. Some people who are exceptionally competitive or by the grace of god have had their applications complete since September may be flooded with invitations while you sit awaiting your first. Remember that big shot programs court big shot applicants the way that big shot applicants court big shot programs. Fortunately, this is not like the medical school application process, where a single applicant can hold onto a seat at eleven different medical schools until late spring. You will not have to worry about the wait list song and dance and even the guy with the perfect scores and more articles than anyone on the faculty cannot capture more than one spot. Pathology is a small field and while there are some outstanding residency candidates, there are many more applicants who do not feel so outstanding and traditionally, they have matched! This is not dermatology in that most applicants do not need a back up plan.

If you have at least a handful of interviews, then you will probably match. If you apply to and rank only the programs that you enjoy, then you will be happy with your match. If you have any doubts about your ability to match in pathology, then speak to your school dean or advisor who will have a much better idea about the competition you are up against and be able to gauge your chance of success.

Good luck!

Okay, time to eat some of my words.

A reliable source from a popular and competitive program told me that they received 30% more applications this year than last year. The program decided to interview the same number of applicants as before and as of today has finished scheduling interviews. Ironically, their application deadline is in a few weeks.

I'm a little concerned because I had been convinced that it's still relatively early to be receiving interview offers. I'm still hoping to hear from some programs. I had the impression from other programs that spaces are beginning to fill but that there were still many dates available.

A reliable source from a popular and competitive program told me that they received 30% more applications this year than last year. The program decided to interview the same number of applicants as before and as of today has finished scheduling interviews. Ironically, their application deadline is in a few weeks.

I'm a little concerned because I had been convinced that it's still relatively early to be receiving interview offers. I'm still hoping to hear from some programs. I had the impression from other programs that spaces are beginning to fill but that there were still many dates available.

What program?

That all being said, i have had PD's tell me they didn't offer ANY invitations before November 1st . . . yet they invited me weeks ago, and i'm not that special. so, just take all of it with a grain of salt . . .

That all being said, i have had PD's tell me they didn't offer ANY invitations before November 1st . . . yet they invited me weeks ago, and i'm not that special. so, just take all of it with a grain of salt . . .

Apparently there are some programs that will not offer any invitations after November 1st.

Hopefully, they are the exception to the rule.

What program?

DITTO that question!
Would be really great to know - i know one program i was really interested in has an early deadline, hope it's not the same one...

it would really be GREAT if anyone had insider info about which programs are 'closed' to more interviews, such as ones that don't offer interviews past nov...really important to know so that i could call/have someone call on my behalf in a timely manner!

DITTO that question!

Program I referred to has since extended more offers for interviews. Apparently, the doors are still open.

Honored and fortunate to have received an interview but confused by the conflicting information. I'm going to follow Arctic Char's advice and take everything I hear from programs and other applicants with a grain of salt.

Program I referred to has since extended more offers for interviews. Apparently, the doors are still open.

Honored and fortunate to have received an interview but confused by the conflicting information. I'm going to follow Arctic Char's advice and take everything I hear from programs and other applicants with a grain of salt.

So what program is it?