Peace of mind for my MS-2 friends.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2004, 93% of first time Step1-takers from MD schools passed.

I know it's all very scary now and I am starting to see the threads of people getting worried.

Guess what? You're going to make it. Why? Because you made it this far.

People probably told you college would be "sooooo hard," but you made it.
"Ok, college was tough, but the MCAT! The MCAT is really going to kill you!" You made it over that hurdle too.
"Now getting into med school, THAT is hard," but you did it.
"Ok, ok, enough playing around, anatomy is where we're really going to separate the sheep from the goats." All of you passed.
"First year was a piece of cake, you guys will splatter when you hit M2." Umm, it's January now, you're still here.

For most of you, this is going to be a test of HOW WELL YOU DO, not if you pass.

I got 41% on my first random 50q set on Qbank too. I also wondered if 4 weeks was enough time just like you are. I felt guilty just as guilty as you did when I watched TV instead of studying. My final score would be competitive at the best Plastic Surgery residency in the coutry.

Bottom line: you're going to be ok.

PM me if you need moral support.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Amory. It is very easy to get nervous with so much riding on this exam. It is nice to have older, wiser students showing their support!!:)

I'm getting alot of PMs asking for advice, which is fine - I'm perfectly happy to answer them. I just want to drop one big Nugget of Truth down on you future boards-takers.

Amory's #1 Rule for M2s Preparing For USMLE Step 1

"Find two or three upperclassmen who you trust and who did well on the test and follow their advice and their advice only."

It really doesn't matter if these people are on SDN or at your school, just that you know they aren't tools. Wild ideas are going to start flying around soon. I had two very smart people I always went to for advice. I followed what they said and didn't worry about all the rest, it kept my mind level and paid off.

Sometimes I get so caught up in the immediate quagmire known as studyingfortheboards that I do forget that little snippet of time oh so long ago when I was this overcaffeinated hermit studying for the MCAT...thank you for the perspective, it really hit home. Even though I've become an overcaffeinated hermit AGAIN.