Ped clinical question...

joel4sale

KT Lee, DDS.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2004
Oregon
    Hi there....I am not a Med guy...In fact, I am a dentist from next door. Just got a question that bug the heck out of me and hopefully I can get some answer here..

My girlfriend got a "Mentally-challenged" brother whose physical age is 30 but mental age stayed at about 10 years old. Physically appearance is short, over weight and unable to move right eye properly. Nobody else got that in the family.

The family told me that he got high fever when he was infant and was placed into a "thermo chamber". One of the nurse set temp way too high which caused permeant brain damage. (as they were later told by the doctor from other hospital after he reviewd the record).

Does the story sound right?? We will be married soon, and I am under anxiety attack daily afraid this might be genetic and pass to my kids. Is it possible to have the genes check out??

joel4sale

KT Lee, DDS.
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 24, 2004
    Oregon
      Part of story I missed....He was borned early, 7 1/2 month pregnacy with birth weight 1000 gram. Hence the fever and the chamber...

Then again, I guess without chart none can really be said for sure.

Thanks

About the Ads

joel4sale

KT Lee, DDS.
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 24, 2004
      Oregon
        Haha...nah, We getting married anyway.....I just like to know the odds of "crap" that might happend.

Oh, well, I am at the stage that I don't care anymore. If "crap" does happen, we'll work it out anyway.

AF_PedsBoy

Stuffed Animal Overlord
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jun 22, 2004
        Japan
        1. Attending Physician
          joel4sale said:
          Hi there....I am not a Med guy...In fact, I am a dentist from next door. Just got a question that bug the heck out of me and hopefully I can get some answer here..

My girlfriend got a "Mentally-challenged" brother whose physical age is 30 but mental age stayed at about 10 years old. Physically appearance is short, over weight and unable to move right eye properly. Nobody else got that in the family.

The family told me that he got high fever when he was infant and was placed into a "thermo chamber". One of the nurse set temp way too high which caused permeant brain damage. (as they were later told by the doctor from other hospital after he reviewd the record).

Does the story sound right?? We will be married soon, and I am under anxiety attack daily afraid this might be genetic and pass to my kids. Is it possible to have the genes check out??

Sounds like a question for the genetic counselors, not the SDN. Thermo chamber? What? Is he talking about the crib warmers in the nursery? I picture a nurse looking over and saying, "Hey, Doris, you think it wierd that the crib over there is steaming up and smoking?" "Nah, besides, shift is over in fifteen minutes - I doubt he'll have brain damage by then. Let them check it." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.