Pedi Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooseHC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any info in regards to the application process/competitiveness, etc for pedi hem/onc. From my minimal research, it seems like you complete a pedi residency and then apply for a fellowship in pedi hem/onc. Is that right? And if so, when do you apply for the fellowship? I have heard that some fellowships are so crowded in applications that they require applications years in advance.
And, finally, does anyone know the general comparative salary level for pedi hem/onc, and what programs have good reputations?
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings:

I haven't seen any pedi heme/onc people post here so I will give you some brief answers and let anyone who has more info fill in the details for you. Pediatric heme/onc is a subspecialty of pediatrics and therefore is a 3 year fellowship after pediatric residency. As with other pediatric specialties, it is common to apply during one's second year of residency. I don't know specific information, but it is my understanding that it is an increasingly popular field and I expect that the larger children's hospitals are moderately competitive for fellowships. Many of the people I know in this field who have trained recently have been very academic and research oriented due to the large amount of both basic science and clinical science research opportunities currently available in pedi heme/onc. I am aware of some private practice opportunities, but I think pedi heme/onc is still fairly centered around academic medicine.

It is a great and very rewarding field and one in which the opportunities for combining research, education and clinical care are abundant. Good luck with you career goals.

Regards

oldbearprofessor

gooseHC said:
anyone have any info in regards to the application process/competitiveness, etc for pedi hem/onc. From my minimal research, it seems like you complete a pedi residency and then apply for a fellowship in pedi hem/onc. Is that right? And if so, when do you apply for the fellowship? I have heard that some fellowships are so crowded in applications that they require applications years in advance.
And, finally, does anyone know the general comparative salary level for pedi hem/onc, and what programs have good reputations?
Any help would be great.
Thanks.