Pediatric age to weight (new pharmacist)

Started by chemoman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemoman

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so my 7th day working as a Pharmacist in community setting been very nervous about pediatric dosing. What is the best way to approximate a child's weight based on their age?
 
Using the dose, calculate out a range of weights that makes the dose okay, when the parents come just confirm with them.
 
Ok so my 7th day working as a Pharmacist in community setting been very nervous about pediatric dosing. What is the best way to approximate a child's weight based on their age?
Go to the store and buy a big red sharpie.

On each prescription that makes you worried, put a giant red note.

"ASK THE PARENT FOR CHILD'S WEIGHT AND GET THE PHARMACIST" and document that you'll be getting the weight in the system

EDIT: the real answer is that you should already know the upper dosing limits for what I'm guessing are scripts for pedi antibiotics
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could just expense a scale in your store and weigh them yourselves if you have to (infants not recommend) if you don't trust the parents' answer. Looking and figuring out weight is possible, but you have to be pretty solid in physical assessment to pull it off and I doubt most pharmacists get that kind of practice.
 
I have been practicing for about two years and use the backwards method as well. Use the max dose range to find a weight and confirm with the parents later if it seems close. Seeing as I am at the same store everyday I have a good idea of which doctors are dosing appropriately and which ones I call to verify.