pediatric anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at some residency websites to see what subspecialties or practice types pediatric residents did post-training, and have noticed quite a few of residents doing pediatric anesthesiology after their residency. I was under the impression that the only route to do this was 1 year internship+3 yrs anesthesiology residency+1 year peds anesthesiology. Am I wrong? I'd like to go the peds route and see if I'm still interested in the anesthesiology side, as I am still unsure how important procedures are to me at this point. Is their an alternate route I am not aware of???

Members don't see this ad.

I have been looking at some residency websites to see what subspecialties or practice types pediatric residents did post-training, and have noticed quite a few of residents doing pediatric anesthesiology after their residency. I was under the impression that the only route to do this was 1 year internship+3 yrs anesthesiology residency+1 year peds anesthesiology. Am I wrong? I'd like to go the peds route and see if I'm still interested in the anesthesiology side, as I am still unsure how important procedures are to me at this point. Is their an alternate route I am not aware of???

It's a combined fellowship of PICU and Peds Anesthesia. After peds residency, you do 3 years of Anesthesia and then 2 years PICU. During your PICU years, you do a certain number of peds anesthesia cases to get boarded in PICU, Anesthesia, and Peds Anesthesia. There are several places that offer this option - some formalized, others less formalized. The best site for information and structure is probably the Hopkins site - just search for combined fellowship of PICU and Pediatric Anesthesia. One person from my program went to UPenn/CHOP and another person is going to Boston (BI/Children's) next year. It's a nice option after pediatrics but it is 8 years total whereas it would only be 5 years if you wanted to do just Peds Anesthesia as you have pointed out above.

Last edited: