Pediatric Board Results 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanni2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year the results were out on Dec 11? So are we looking at the possibility of receiving them today or tomorrow? Good Luck to everyone who took them this year. Hope we all pass!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
bump. any news on when results will come out this year?

last year results came out 8 weeks after the first test day. tomorrow would be 7 weeks after. the abp secretary said "we tell people it will be before jan 15th"

who knows though

Members don't see this ad :)
wao I was waiting for the results today, I couldn't sleep last night. Hopefully is not that far in January.
Good luck.

last year results came out 8 weeks after the first test day. tomorrow would be 7 weeks after. the abp secretary said "we tell people it will be before jan 15th"

who knows though
before Jan15th could be any time then :)
During the last three years the report came out between the 11th and 15th, so let see!!!

Eight weeks from the first day of the test would be December 17 2013. I feel the results will be out by Monday and Tuesday, next week. Jan 15 would be too late. Hopefully it all ends well and soon, for the test takers.

Yes! I passed! What a relief! Congrats! to everyone. It as a very stressful wait for me as I am currently practicing and this was my first attempt, Had 10 days to prepare for the exam. I will be posting in more detail about my preparation strategy soon. I used Medstudy Videos and Prep questions.

Passed! YAY! Anyone know what the pass rate was this year?

Failed second year in a row. Feeling devastated and humiliated. Score 166. Tried coarse in Cleveland. Tried med study, LYW, 4 years of prep, pbr, first aid, zitelli, content specs. What now? Open to any suggestions at all. I work full time but took off 2 weeks prior to exam. Am I spreading myself too thin?

Failed second year in a row. Feeling devastated and humiliated. Score 166. Tried coarse in Cleveland. Tried med study, LYW, 4 years of prep, pbr, first aid, zitelli, content specs. What now? Open to any suggestions at all. I work full time but took off 2 weeks prior to exam. Am I spreading myself too thin?

Sorry to hear this... Did you actually go through all those different sources? Also, how long did you commit to studying? The best advice I can give is to limit yourself to 1 or 2 sources, at the most. Personally, I learn best from doing comprehensive practice questions and then going back and reading the content using one main source. To read material first and then do questions is not only boring for me, but I don't retain much information. Every question has 4-5 answer choices, and if you think about it, each of those are short topics you can read about in medstudy or zitelli (or whatever source you choose). You may be all over the place, learning about cardiology with one question, and GI with the next, but at least you're covering more ground and it keeps it interesting. It will take some time at first because you're learning the material, but after you've done enough questions and read about each of the answer choices/topics, the questions will go by faster, and you'll be reading less and less each time, because the question topics will repeat. Again, this is what worked for me and is only a suggestion. Also, I did 6 years of prep questions and purchased the medstudy questions online for more practice. Hope this helped. All the best!

Sorry to hear this... Did you actually go through all those different sources? Also, how long did you commit to studying? The best advice I can give is to limit yourself to 1 or 2 sources, at the most. Personally, I learn best from doing comprehensive practice questions and then going back and reading the content using one main source. To read material first and then do questions is not only boring for me, but I don't retain much information. Every question has 4-5 answer choices, and if you think about it, each of those are short topics you can read about in medstudy or zitelli (or whatever source you choose). You may be all over the place, learning about cardiology with one question, and GI with the next, but at least you're covering more ground and it keeps it interesting. It will take some time at first because you're learning the material, but after you've done enough questions and read about each of the answer choices/topics, the questions will go by faster, and you'll be reading less and less each time, because the question topics will repeat. Again, this is what worked for me and is only a suggestion. Also, I did 6 years of prep questions and purchased the medstudy questions online for more practice. Hope this helped. All the best!
Thank you so much for your reply! I guess I just need to be more methodical and in depth with my approach to questions. Hopefully this year is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of anyone asking for a rescore and it changing their results? Failed by one point.

Hello everyone,
I have never written on Student Doctor but I felt I had to write after passing this test. This was not my first try. But this was my second try of the many, after actually studying. First of all- I feel that for most people, more than 2 weeks is needed to study. Depending on your residency program, you may or may not have received great prep for boards - even those that received great prep should study for more than 2 weeks. This is an important exam. I learned the hard way- I finally had to neglect my family, selfishly ask help for hours of child care after work-it's ok, your family wants you to pass this test. I have also devoted many hours at night to study- I just didn't have any other choice.

There are few that will pass this test without actually studying. I have colleagues do many things and pass. Some only studied LYW (Laughing your way through boards) with PREP questions. Some did Med study videos and PREP questions +/- med study questions. Last year I did LYW with 3 years of PREP and failed.
This year, I felt that my fundamentals needed improvement and so this year I did the whole UCLA DVD course- I do think though that their ID and Neonatology was weak compared to what showed up on the test. For that you can add another source. The rest was really good for test purposes. LYW is ok if you have strong fundamentals in Peds. Nelson's is way too long to read for test purposes. But I think most people need a whole review- three years of residency do not cover everything and you may or may not have retained it anyway.

No matter how boring and long- I think everyone should do a video course ( in my case, I did the UCLA course)- you at least see and hear the material once. I reviewed the whole course again on printed slides. I would have done another round if I had the time. I did look at the ABP outline as I went through the course. I covered the gaps with PREP. I feel all courses have some gaps (in past I've briefly looked at med study, Pediatric board review).

Honestly, PREP made much more sense after I did the video course. Again, once you review all the basics/important stuff, things are just easier to remember.

If you are into flashcards- I had a colleague do MEDSTUDY flashcards on the side. That was way too much for me, I thought my brain was going to explode at that point.

Stick to 1-2 sources only. Study for more than 2 weeks. Spread it out over at least a few months if you can. I wish no one has to go through failure on this test- it's an awful feeling and it does NOT mean you are a bad physician.

Is there anyone looking to sell previous Peds Prep CDs ? Other books?
Thank you for all the advise!!
I'm trying to prepare for the exam, working full time and kids!!!!

Has anyone heard of anyone asking for a rescore and it changing their results? Failed by one point.
I failed by one point last year. The re-score did not help. Please save your money. It makes sense since the rescoring only checks if the Prometric process was done properly. It does not critique your exam or recheck stats.

5 years prep twice on tutor/learning mode

medstudy online qbank twice ~800 q's

PBR online guide three times

med study books as syllabus

zitelli flip through night before

best resource i think was med study qbank and prep

Hi there,

I passed the certification on my first attempt. However, I must say I did not take it in the same sequence as other newly minted residency graduates. I am 3 years out of gen peds residency and went straight into a fellowship. I delayed taking the boards because of the birth of a child weeks before one year, fellowship craziness the second year and research the third year. After completing fellowship did I take the boards.

I used only LYW and PREP from the last 5 years (about 1200 questions). I looked at Zitelli once but must say it was kind of a waste of time. What helped for me was studying with a friend who was in exactly the same boat (delayed taking the boards 3 years and was also a co-fellow with me). Studying with someone helps keep a schedule and keeps you accountable in studying weekly.

One piece of advice from this experience - do NOT delay taking the boards after gen peds residency. It was really, really hard reviewing back all the materials and some of the things I had learned in residency were a little obsolete (like vaccinations and antibiotic usage) by the time I took the exam. Take it sooner than later so that the stuff you learn in residency is more fresh in your mind.

Congrats to all newly certified pediatricians. To those who didn't pass, don't give up! The exam is no reflection in your ability as a doctor!

Thankfully, I passed my boards too. It was a difficult exam and I had a hard time finding enough time to study with a move, a new full-time job, trying to make the adjustment to being an attending, and a family. My main strategy was to try to study for a few hours on weekends starting over the summer. I also took one week off prior to the exam to cram.

My main source was PREP questions. I went back 6 years (each year 2-3 times on tutor mode, then blocks of q's closer to the exam), but would say probably avoid going back more than 5 years because some of the material changes. I had LYW too, but did not have time to get through it. I focused on reading the chapters on my weaker subjects and some of the little test-taking tidbits the book gave were very helpful the day of the exam.

I also had a friend's Medstudy video course and watched it a bit, but really did not have time to use this resource. Just before the exam I did the Medstudy questions from the last 2 years, and they seemed helpful too.

I think my main advice would be to start early, especially if you will be working full time. And if you have kids it does mean sacrificing your time with them to really focus and get the studying done. Best of luck to everyone!

You are doing wayyy too much. I passed comfortably on my first attempt. My humble advice is to print the content specifications that are published every year. Everything that you need to study is mentioned there. Although it is true that many topics are broad, at least 30-40 % of the content specs are one liners. I can assure you that > 95 % of the questions are somehow listed on the content specs. Another thing I did is that I focused mostly on the big topics such as general peds, nutrition, developmental and behavior, NEO and ID. I scored really high on these ones and scored lower than the mean in ALL THE REST, and still did pretty good. I think that is where you need to pour your main effort at. Good luck next year, you are just reading a lot of material and is going to make you overthink even the simpler questions.

I was wondering if this is being done at other facilities....my place is allowing a general anesthesiologist to sit for the peds anesthesia board exam in 2014 when that person does not even meet the grandfathering criteria. I mean that person has not been practicing peds primarily for the last 2 years as per the ABA grandfathering crieria.
I do not know what to do... I do not want to tell the ABA as I may lose my job.. It makes feel sick to know that I did a peds anesthesia fellowship and this person does n0t even meet the criteria and is being allowed to sit for the exam..
Any advice on how I should handle this AND not hurt myself?