Pediatric Cardiology fellowship after PICU - looking for programs that will offer 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holaback

Reaction score
I hope to get some advice on pediatric cardiology programs that allow or will be able to accommodate a fellow for only 2 years. I have done PICU fellowship (board-certified), and a cardiac critical care fellowship subsequently, and I currently practice in a PICU, doing some cardiac patients. I want to increase my knowledge and skills by doing a cardiology fellowship, and know the ABP will allow 2 years based on me being board-certified in PICU. However, I also know not every program can accommodate a 2-year fellow.

Also - any idea if any program will allow me to continue doing some ICU shifts as attending while also being a fellow?
Would love to hear if you've had similar experience, or worked with people who have.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to get some advice on pediatric cardiology programs that allow or will be able to accommodate a fellow for only 2 years. I have done PICU fellowship (board-certified), and a cardiac critical care fellowship subsequently, and I currently practice in a PICU, doing some cardiac patients. I want to increase my knowledge and skills by doing a cardiology fellowship, and know the ABP will allow 2 years based on me being board-certified in PICU. However, I also know not every program can accommodate a 2-year fellow.

Also - any idea if any program will allow me to continue doing some ICU shifts as attending while also being a fellow?
Would love to hear if you've had similar experience, or worked with people who have.
8 years of GME isn't enough lol? Props to you.

I just matched in pediatric cardiology fellowship and have seen fellows in some programs doing only 2 year fellowship after their PICU fellowship. You will basically have to contact the programs that you are interested in and ask them if they can accommodate you for the next year. Some programs will be able to accommodate you, especially large ones who still can survive even when they are down 1 fellow (when you finish).

So do you think your cardiac critical care fellowship was not helpful enough for you do take care of cardiac patients? do you still need to do cardiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested in peds Cardiac ICU . I matched into PICU this year. Was wondering if I should do 1 year of non-accredited CVICU or double boards. Would be interested to know if your cardiac critical care fellowship was not helpful enough for you to take care of cardiac patients?

It’s highly variable and mostly because it screws up the number of accepted fellows in a cycle year to year. Really the only way to know is to ask the program.

And no, you typically can’t be an attending and a fellow. You may be able to moonlight if they need staff coverage in the unit, but that would also be highly variable and I would probably doubt it. Generally speaking wherever you go for Cardiology fellowship, the ICU service is under no obligation to do anything to accommodate you. Maybe they would, but probably they wouldn’t (unless you stay at your home institution)

Last edited:
Isn't it time to like...go out and get a job and make money?

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @SurfingDoctor as you are "just" a cardiology fellow at that point. It's akin to the anesthesiologists that go back for Pain medicine fellowships after having been in practice for a few years - they aren't going to get OR time made available to them just because they are board certified.

That said, it doesn't hurt to ask if they will allow you to moonlight in the Unit. Given your 4th year CICU training, maybe they would allow you in there since that's what you are ultimately hoping for. The worst they can say is no. The CICU time is probably most dependent on what their current staff has for credentials - if it's an Critical Care run unit with a bunch of people who did 4th years, might not be too hard to find some time for you. If it's a cardiology run unit or one where everyone is dual-boarded, then you may have a more difficult time convincing them to give you attending time there.

Luckily I've done that - for a few years already!
Right. So you should continue it. How are you not comfortable with the scope of cardiology in the unit after picu and cardiac crit care fellowships? Are you independently wealthy or something so that doing a third fellowship makes any kind of financial sense? If you want more knowledge you should attend some weekend conferences in the Caribbean.

Right. So you should continue it. How are you not comfortable with the scope of cardiology in the unit after picu and cardiac crit care fellowships? Are you independently wealthy or something so that doing a third fellowship makes any kind of financial sense? If you want more knowledge you should attend some weekend conferences in the Caribbean.

LOL.
A) yes, I'm independently wealthy enough.
B) you're obviously not a cardiac intensivist.
C) lots of people do/have done what i am doing.
D) weekend conferences in the Carribean?

Pediatrics and money? I dont get your question.
Plenty of money to be made in pediatrics if you do it right. I know plenty of pediatric intensivists making 300k at academic quarternary hospitals with just a PICU fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user