howelljolly

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, since this is here, Ive got a pediatric critical care question.... kinda...

In a Trauma-1 institution which has a surgical ICU, but not a pediatric med or surg ICU... Would the SICU manage a pediatric patient? Or will this permutiation of dis-services not happen at one institution?

My motivation for asking this question is to determine if I can take care of really sick kids, while completely avoiding a pediatrics residency.

PeepshowJohnny

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2007
Earth
Status
Medical Student
In a Trauma-1 institution which has a surgical ICU, but not a pediatric med or surg ICU... Would the SICU manage a pediatric patient? Or will this permutiation of dis-services not happen at one institution?

My motivation for asking this question is to determine if I can take care of really sick kids, while completely avoiding a pediatrics residency.
I've worked a smaller nonacademic level 1 trauma center (It's in the middle of nowhere) that handled a lot of interstate wrecks as well as farm accident type stuff. They had a medical and surgical ICU, but no peds ICU (but did have a sort of intermediate type floor for Peds).

If a kid was trauma, he'd tend to get stuck in the surgical ICU. A couple times asthma, DKA, and overdosing teenagers would get stuck in the medical ICU when the peds intermediate floor was full or if they were really sick. Really sick kids tend to get transferred to the Children's hospital, two or three hours away.

So, I'm sure there are other community places out there where this is true, but it's going to be limited and lots of bread and brother peds ICU stuff like post surgical and sepsis stuff you won't see.