Pediatric Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I am a 2nd year dental student and I am feeling overwhelmed with having to make a decision on if I should pursue residency/which residency.

Here is some background about me: Originally, I always thought I wanted to pursue ortho, but I am currently in ortho lecture/lab and don't enjoy it. I am also worried about the cost of ortho residency and how competitive it is. On the other hand, I am also in a pedo course the semester and I am really enjoying it. I am debating on pursuing residency because I don't love crown and bridge, and I absolutely hate dentures. I also think I would enjoy focusing on a 1 niche of dentistry and getting good at that opposed to doing a wide array of procedures. I currently have a 3.91 GPA, unsure of my class rank because we get ranked at the end of the year.

If I decided I wanted to pursue pedo residency, what extracurriculars would I need to make myself an appealing applicant? Does pedo require research like a lot of ortho residencies?

It is impossible to judge a whole specialty off of one course, and I plan to shadow my next break, but if anyone has any input about ortho, pedo, or general dentistry I'd love to here it!