Pediatric dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahsara

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll start dental school in August and I know that applying for residency will be more competitive so I want to know what can I do during D1 for my resume? I am thinking about applying for pediatric residency program. As a D1 student, do you think research or shadowing might be great for my application?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the biggest things you can do as a D1 is study hard and keep your grades up. A bulk of your rank/grades are determined in your first two years. Just like college, if you start out with a low GPA, you will spend the rest of your time trying to bring it back up.

Shadowing can help expose you to the specialty and see if you like it. Depending on the specialty, eventually you can do externships and that will be valuable.

Research is good because most specialty programs require you to do a research project, masters or publication as part of the training. If you get involved early on, it can be a resume builder.

Reactions: 2 users