Pediatric EM...confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if I do peds, then EM, I go 3 + 3 years in each?
But if I do EM then Peds I go 3+1?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Pegasus
Ok, so if I do peds, then EM, I go 3 + 3 years in each?
But if I do EM then Peds I go 3+1?

You can do 3 years of general peds + 3 years of pediatric emergency medicine and be dually borded in peds + peds EM.

You can do 3 years of EM + 2-3 years of peds fellowship and be dually borded in EM + peds EM.

You can enter a combined program at a few places across the county and over the course of five years, complete residencies in general EM and general peds and be dually certified in gen peds + EM and (I think possibly) pediatric EM.

The thing about these different options is that the first scenario you usually don't take care of any adults.

In the second scenario, you don't have as much general peds training and typically could not have an office practice in peds on the side.

In the third scenario, you could do general EM and work in a peds office, plus while in the ED you would be a pediatrician (and most peds EM visits are primary care), but I don't know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get that final boarding in peds EM.

mike

Actually, in regards to the EM/Peds combined residency, it does not qualify you to sit for the Pediatric EM exam. You must complete a fellowship after your EM residency in Pediatric EM which is 2-3 years depending on the program. So, if you did a 5 year combined EM/Peds residency, to be certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine specifically, you would have to do another 2-3 year fellowship.

Check out the article in the Feb/March 2003 EMResident (EMRA publication) written by Dr. Lance Brown who is currently finishing his Peds EM fellowship at Loma Linda University.

Also, SAEM's site has a link to EM Fellowships and specifically Pediatric EM listing all the programs who offer the fellowship.