Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Pediatric EMED

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by MEK, Feb 19, 2007.

1. MEK

MEK
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am interested to know what peoples' opinions are about pediatric EMED. I am strongly considering this route, but I would do a regular EMED residency and then fellowship. So far, I have received a lot of negative feedback about going into this field. Any thoughts? Any programs you know of that are strong in peds or fellowship possibility you have come across in interviews?

2. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's fine, but it is a paycut for EPs. Mainly because you go into the academic sector and leave the community.
    I haven't heard any bad things about it, but most people I know who do it are peds trained first. Cincinnati has a good one, as do most peds heavy schools.

3. doctawife

doctawife Rocephin is for wimps
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most pedi EM (henceforth known as PEM - as most folks in the field will say) work harder than adult EM. Increasingly, PEM fellows are from the adult world - but you're right, most candidates are from pedi residency programs.

And Dr. McN is also right - PEM docs either make less money or work more. Why? There are less of us and a huge demand. You would think the 'huge demand' would lead to a large paycheck, but it generally just leads to more shifts. Remember, most of the PEM attendings right now came from straight pediatrics - and peds people are used to making less money. So the step up from straight peds to PEM is enough that most folks are happy.

Given the increasing number of EM folks getting certified in PEM that may change. It is a growth market, so there is nowhere to go but up. I'd say get in NOW - PEM docs will be making money hand over fist sometime in the near to mid-term future. Hospitals are finally realizing that it makes economic sense to have treat emergent kiddos effectively the first time.

If you haven't done residency yet, tho, the caveat is that PEM is getting very very competitive. Pedi people want to do PEM, EM folks want to do PEM, so whatever you do - do it well.

Good luck.

4. wrested

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I considered this route as well, and was strongly encouraged to do an EM residency followed by a PEM fellowship, so that I would not be limited to seeing only kids. Therefore, I would still have the flexibility to work as an adult EP should the need arise. Any thoughts? Would this flexibility translate into, for example, a bigger paycheck, more respect from fellow EPs, etc.?

5. jmart

jmart Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know that Ohio State EM REsidency has a lot of rotations at a Childrens in Columbus. I know a doctor who works at both Childrens as well as Ohio State. This is something that I'm thinking about as well. However, I need to get into med school first.;)

6. Eidee

Eidee Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

why would anyone (who's in EM) want to do this if you can see peds patients as a board certified EP?

7. mfleur

mfleur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I get the impression that most peds eds won't hire you with only EM. I'm thinking about doing it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

You can ask the same question of why people do pediatrics, when they can see kids as FM-trained providers. There's a few reasons: some people may prefer the 5-year path that EM grads can take through about 1/2 the PEM fellowships (the other half are 3 years for EM and Peds grads). Another is the wider, generalist-type training in EM, versus the more in-depth pediatrics residency; also, that parallels other specialties that have pediatric fellowships - you have to do adult before you can train in kids.

Some people may be planning on working in an area or hospital that has a large children's ED population, so they want to be sharper. Yet even more people may like EM in general, but like PEM more - it's not like it's a black or white/yes or no sort of thing - more like "this AND that". I can tell you that, in the community hospitals I work at that don't have a peds ED (3 of 4 facilities), seeing the kids brightens my day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. EMedGrrl

10+ Year Member

1. Some people want to work in peds-only ED's (and need the certification).

2. Some feel that they didn't see enough kids in residency and need to to a peds fellowship in order to take care of sick kids with confidence (this should be rare, as the vast majority of EM residencies do a great job teaching residents how to take care of sick kids).

3. Some want to find a niche as the "peds" person in an ED that does not have a stand-alone peds ED.

Many people who go into EM residencies thinking that they want to do peds EM end up deciding that they'd rather go get a job, get paid more money, and not do 2 more years of training ...