Pediatric Emergency Department Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DazedMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there currently a fellowship trained Pediatric ER physician?

What are the average salaries out of fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this for what it is worth. I am a Ped ER Fellow and have not yet done the job search thing, but I have been asking lots of questions from young attendings and people who recently have done the job hunt. Like most things in medicine, it depends on where you practice. In academia, the salary is lower, but residents do most of the paperwork, and you have non-clinical duties such as research and teaching. At my institution ther clinical pay is a base salary starting around $140-150K, with increases to a rough max of $175-180K. Some staff work extra shifts for overtime for b/w $100-125/hr. This includes the standard benefits, healthcare, retirement, malpractice and disability insurance.
That being said, there are some very interesting private, non-academic Peds ER jobs out there. The offers seem to be set up similar to adult ER jobs. You can either be salaried as a member of a practice group, or you can contract with a practice group or directly with a hospital. Again, both of these have varying benefit packages and coverage. In a pracice group, if the practice does well for the year, you can score a yearly bonus. Starting salaries seem to be in the $200-250K range. Some practices or hospitals will pay by the hour in the $125-175/hr ballpark, which at 40hr/wk for 48 wks/yr is roughly $288K.
Again, these are only estimates, but a Peds EM doc should do significantly better than the average office pediatrician. That being said, you gotta do what you love, or all the money in the world will not make you happy.

Peace.

TeleoDeum said:
Take this for what it is worth. I am a Ped ER Fellow and have not yet done the job search thing, but I have been asking lots of questions from young attendings and people who recently have done the job hunt. Like most things in medicine, it depends on where you practice. In academia, the salary is lower, but residents do most of the paperwork, and you have non-clinical duties such as research and teaching. At my institution ther clinical pay is a base salary starting around $140-150K, with increases to a rough max of $175-180K. Some staff work extra shifts for overtime for b/w $100-125/hr. This includes the standard benefits, healthcare, retirement, malpractice and disability insurance.
That being said, there are some very interesting private, non-academic Peds ER jobs out there. The offers seem to be set up similar to adult ER jobs. You can either be salaried as a member of a practice group, or you can contract with a practice group or directly with a hospital. Again, both of these have varying benefit packages and coverage. In a pracice group, if the practice does well for the year, you can score a yearly bonus. Starting salaries seem to be in the $200-250K range. Some practices or hospitals will pay by the hour in the $125-175/hr ballpark, which at 40hr/wk for 48 wks/yr is roughly $288K.
Again, these are only estimates, but a Peds EM doc should do significantly better than the average office pediatrician. That being said, you gotta do what you love, or all the money in the world will not make you happy.

Peace.

Do you come to PEM from peds or EM? Are you at a dedicated peds hospital, or do some of the extra shifts get covered by EM generalists?

I am at a dedicated Children's Hospital in the South. I did a Peds residency first and am now doing a fellowship. The extra shifts in our ED are done by general pediatricians on the urgent/non-acute side of the ED. We do not have any all-comer ED docs in our ED, except for the rotating ER residents. Truthfully, the adult ED folks could do better than $100-125/hr in moonlighting, so there is no incentive for them to work at our place, plus we like to keep it with Peds trained people.

Peace