1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pediatric Gastroenterology

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by sam1, May 1, 2007.

1. sam1

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Attendings,fellows, aspiring residents medical students please contribute.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. peds4077

Resident [Any Field]
    anyone else interested?

4. TexasRose

TexasRose Gotta run
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm interested. I'm an MSIII, however, so not much useful stuff to contribute. ;)

I'm doing an elective in Pedi GI this summer, which I hope will let me know more about my level of interest. Everything is different in theory than in practice, you know? I'm also getting the opportunity to work on a research project in GI this summer, so we'll see where that leads.

5. dfenst

Resident [Any Field]
    I am starting my peds internship this coming July and am already thinking ahead to a peds GI fellowship, probably in New York.

What should I do in residency to help secure a fellowship? Have any members gone through the peds GI fellowship process?

Thanks.

6. generic

generic Senile Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've seen adult GI (1 mo. rotation), and Pediatric Surgery (2wks), and after doing the surgery selective I was wondering if pedi GI is quite different from adult GI?

Specifically, I noticed that in adult GI medicine there is a heavy procedural component, with some attendings spending 1/2 their time scoping people from above/below.

However, the pediatric endoscopies and stuff (gastrostomy tubes and such) were being done by surgeons. Also, I hear there's very little in the way of Pedi ERCP being done.

So do pedi GI fellows/attendings do less procedures and more clinical work than their adult counterparts?

7. oldbearprofessor

Administrator Rocket Scientist Physician Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pedi GI definitely has a greater % of time spent in the medical management of things like reflux, colic, FTT, CF, IBD, etc and fewer procedures than adult GI. BUT, the pedi GI folks do their fair share of scopes from above and below. Also, liver Bx.

Pedi GI is a match and the top programs are relatively competitive, although probably not as much so as the adult ones as the salary differential is not like it is in adult GI. Who you know counts, so plan electives accordingly if you want to go to one of the best-known programs. However, there are some excellent not-quite-as-well known programs as well. A bit of research is very helpful. Decide early on if you want to do basic science (often gut biology stuff or immunology research) or nutrition research (obesity is the big area for pedi GI) or clinical patient oriented research (eg management of IBD with new meds, etc).

8. TexasRose

TexasRose Gotta run

Attending Physician
    Started my Ped GI elective this week and I'm really enjoying it. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to be in clinic. I also got to observe several procedures this morning (2 upper scopes and a liver bx).

Here's what a couple of attendings told me. The Match occurs at the end of your PGY-2 year. The applications are due around Jan of your 2nd year. It's a fairly competitive field at the better known programs, so it's a good idea to make your interest in GI known in your intern year. While you may not be able to do an elective or rotate through the GI Dept in your intern year, you can still start making connections with people, showing interest and possibly getting involved in a little research.

9. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm interested in peds GI, but I'm not so interested in the obesity management issues, which I know are becoming a bigger proportion of patients every year. How much of your time as a peds GI would be given over to obsesity management patients?

10. TexasRose

TexasRose Gotta run

Attending Physician
    To be honest, in our clinic it depends largely on the physician. Some docs like the counseling aspect and spend a lot of time talking to the patients who are in for obesity-related issues. Other docs refer to printed handouts and the RD's for that. Our center rarely sees patients referred soley for obesity. They usually have some comorbidities, like steatohepatitis, that leads to seeing the GI doc.

11. pathstudent

pathstudent Sound Kapital
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    is peds gi a license to print money the way real gi is.