Pediatric Niche?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Sam123

Reaction score
Anyone know of any niches in general pediatrics? I have seen ADHD and sports medicine. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you mean. Sports med is a specific fellowship. ADHD is presumably a niche with the combined peds/psych program.

Basically any subspecialty can lend itself to creating a niche. For example, within my subspecialty of Heme/onc, docs routinely further differentiate into leukemia/sarcoma/transplant/benign Heme/etc. so just about any disease process, you can likely imagine a niche there.

Members don't see this ad :)
For gen peds, people have lots of interests. ADHD is a common one. Obesity is becoming more prevalent and having general pediatricians that can manage that would be a lifesaver for my practice. We also need pediatricians who can easily navigate the complexities of LGBT teens, so that's certainly another niche. A lot of peds like the school aged kids and dislike teens, so I'm sure you can also develop a niche there (though referrals would be less since most of them don't need to be seen as frequently as babies do). Psychopharm is a desperately needed area in peds in general and a lot of pediatricians are getting certifications to do initial psych med management to free up some of the referrals to psychiatry for the complex patients.

For gen peds, people have lots of interests. ADHD is a common one. Obesity is becoming more prevalent and having general pediatricians that can manage that would be a lifesaver for my practice. We also need pediatricians who can easily navigate the complexities of LGBT teens, so that's certainly another niche. A lot of peds like the school aged kids and dislike teens, so I'm sure you can also develop a niche there (though referrals would be less since most of them don't need to be seen as frequently as babies do). Psychopharm is a desperately needed area in peds in general and a lot of pediatricians are getting certifications to do initial psych med management to free up some of the referrals to psychiatry for the complex patients.
Thanks!