Pediatric oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyonce_knowles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M2 at a US allopathic medical school. Other than trying to get the best pediatrics residency possible, what should I be doing now to make myself most competitive for pediatric oncology fellowships? I have a bit of clinical (non-hem/onc) research experience pre-med school but not much else.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're really into heme-onc, go talk to the Peds heme onc people at your institution and see if there is any research that you can get involved in. Doing some in Med school will make it slightly easier to do something in residency.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're really into heme-onc, go talk to the Peds heme onc people at your institution and see if there is any research that you can get involved in. Doing some in Med school will make it slightly easier to do something in residency.

Any thoughts on the value of basis science vs. clinical research for peds hem-onc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on the value of basis science vs. clinical research for peds hem-onc? Thanks!

There's value in all research, and the more involved you are, the more valuable it is. I don't know at the fellowship/attending level what the breakdown of basic science vs clinical research is for heme/onc, as I am not going into the field.

Pediatric heme onc is a fairly but not very competitive field to match into. The problem is that the field is saturated with fellowship graduates and the difficult lies not in getting into the field but landing a job as most are academic gigs.