pediatric optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend who wishes to work with kids in health care field in the future, but not sure what other options she can look into other than pediatric MD. I am just wondering, are there opportunties for optometry grad to work mainly with children who have eye problems??
 
Smooth Operater said:
I have a friend who wishes to work with kids in health care field in the future, but not sure what other options she can look into other than pediatric MD. I am just wondering, are there opportunties for optometry grad to work mainly with children who have eye problems??

Yup, she can specialize in pediatrics. I dont know how common specializations are in Canada (or maybe i just dont know any specialist OD's 😕 ).....i know they are more common in the US
 
you can do a residency as an optometrist in pediatric optometry and binocular vision disorders. (aka eye turns, stabismus, lazy eye etc)