Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!
Any pediatric optometrists out there? If so, what's the difference in your scope of practice vs a pediatric ophthalmologist (besides surgery)?
I was in optometry school a little over a year ago but I took a leave of absence to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I also left because refracting was so boring it made me want to claw my eyes out...and, I discovered I was really interested in ophthalmology. So, I took a break to figure things out.
Anyway, I'm interested in pediatric ophthalmology but I'm wondering if embarking upon the medical school journey is worth it. I'm almost 30 and it's a 9yr journey to be a Peds Ophth. If I decided to go back to optometry school, I'd only have 2-3 more years left. Also, after being in the "real world" for a while, perhaps I can suck up it and learn to enjoy refracting?? We all have to make sacrifices...
So, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what it's like to be a pediatric optometrist. Can you have a successful practice that's solely for kids? I've never seen one 🙁 Also, if you're not a peds opt but you have info about it, please share. Thanks! 😀
Any pediatric optometrists out there? If so, what's the difference in your scope of practice vs a pediatric ophthalmologist (besides surgery)?
I was in optometry school a little over a year ago but I took a leave of absence to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I also left because refracting was so boring it made me want to claw my eyes out...and, I discovered I was really interested in ophthalmology. So, I took a break to figure things out.
Anyway, I'm interested in pediatric ophthalmology but I'm wondering if embarking upon the medical school journey is worth it. I'm almost 30 and it's a 9yr journey to be a Peds Ophth. If I decided to go back to optometry school, I'd only have 2-3 more years left. Also, after being in the "real world" for a while, perhaps I can suck up it and learn to enjoy refracting?? We all have to make sacrifices...
So, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what it's like to be a pediatric optometrist. Can you have a successful practice that's solely for kids? I've never seen one 🙁 Also, if you're not a peds opt but you have info about it, please share. Thanks! 😀
Last edited: