Pediatric Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rockhouse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for what some current residents and so on think of the speciality. I like the idea of working with kids, but it doesn't seem like this is so popular of an ortho fellowship? What is it like, why don't people do it, etc.? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Peds Ortho has a very broad area to work (plenty of fractures, spine, lots of feet) which some like and others don't. Though many may not admit it the pay is a reason also. It is probably the lowest paying because many/most of your patients will be medicaid. Also just like with everything else some don't want to work with kids or worse (sometimes) their parents.

Every kid is going to be a 1st round draft pick, so demanding parents is one of the biggest turn offs. If you like to travel in the summer its harder, because thats the busy time of year in peds. Pay has been mentioned as well. It also has probably the most nonoperative treatment of the orthopedic specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
your patients are non-verbal and often combative... so nuts to a history and physical. that and a lot of radiographic stuff doesn't show up. its a little more difficult in that sense... however, the plus to peds ortho is that kids get better pretty much no matter what you do.

Way too much clinic, not enough OR time - that is the main reason for me to stay away from peds ortho. Love the kids, family members are not that bad, either. History is usually pretty straight forward (he fell . . .) and the physical is usually not that difficult. You just have to see so many patients to fill your OR day. The best part, as mentioned, is that most of these kids get better, despite our efforts, and all of them want to get better ASAP. No workman's comp or drug seekers in this group.

People in peds ortho doomed to live life in academia, or are there private groups in smaller locals ( like around the 100,000 people population mark)?

No - my old boss worked in private practice for ~20 years as a peds orthopod. The Shriner's Network are essentially private hospitals (to my knowledge) and they are all about peds ortho.